Could use advice - replacing speakers on 2018 Accord EX-L

Hello,

I have a 2018 Accord EX-L - it has a 450 watt radio - no idea what the RMS is. I have 2 separates in the from 6.5 and 3/4" tweeter - likewise on the rear deck and a 8" sub. Any idea if I need an amp for the JL C5-650's if I replace the fronts and the rears? I'll probably keep the 8" stock sub. I never even come close to playing my radio at half power. I typically "crank" it to about 30 % if I have the windows down on the highway.

Also the speakers I thought about getting were the JL C5-650 - combo 6.5" and 3/4" tweeter with crossovers. I think they'd be the same as the C5-650w, C5-075CT and C5-650xo separately. I'm not sure what Focals that would compare to or if I'd be better off with a different brand.

I don't listen to hip hop or rap much so I don't need a preponderance of bass.

Hello,
I have a 2018 Accord EX-L - it has a 450 watt radio - no idea what the RMS is. I have 2 separates in the from 6.5 and 3/4" tweeter - likewise on the rear deck and a 8" sub. Any idea if I need an amp for the JL C5-650's if I replace the fronts and the rears? I'll probably keep the 8" stock sub. I never even come close to playing my radio at half power. I typically "crank" it to about 30 % if I have the windows down on the highway.

Also the speakers I thought about getting were the JL C5-650 - combo 6.5" and 3/4" tweeter with crossovers. I think they'd be the same as the C5-650w, C5-075CT and C5-650xo separately. I'm not sure what Focals that would compare to or if I'd be better off with a different brand.

I don't listen to hip hop or rap much so I don't need a preponderance of bass.
If your wanting to improve your sound you could get some quality speakers like Focal or Critical Mass and should hear a big improvement in sound quality

why change anything if you only push it to 30%? what dont you like?
It sounds shallow, tinny, and distant. I have good hearing and it takes very good equipment to sound natural at lower sound levels.

---------- Post added at 05:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

So do you think I'll need an amp? Do you think Focals are better than JL? JL's seem pretty warm but accurate to me.

it takes very good equipment to sound natural at lower sound levels
The opposite of that is actually true. If you have such great ears why would you ask for the internet's opinions on what sounds better? go find somewhere to audition them.

It sounds shallow, tinny, and distant. I have good hearing and it takes very good equipment to sound natural at lower sound levels. 

---------- Post added at 05:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

So do you think I'll need an amp? Do you think Focals are better than JL? JL's seem pretty warm but accurate to me.
yeah its not the speakers that do any of that. Its literally the source processing aka your stock head unit which is garbage for any kind of real audiophile experience along with your whole install and tune. Treating doors with CLD, MLV and CCF is necessary to get a perfect enclosure environment for the midranges in the doors. While a digital signal processor does the bulk of the work to make everything sound good and blend together properly.

Literally you can have the most expensive speakers on earth but they will sound like complete sh*t if your install and tune is not there. For example you just throwing some hertz speakers on an untreated door powered and signal fed by a stock head unit/amp. Its a recipe for major disappointment especially from what you describe the sound, its literally sounding like very low resolution audio from a poorly made Digital audio converter chip inside the stock head unit.

There's the noob way where you think throwing money on expensive gear will make you sound better or there's the proper way where you address core issues and weaknesses in your system and overall install/tune and make a proper acoustical environment in your car for real audio listening.

I'd completely read over this thread from start to finish. This is how an acoustics engineer does a sound quality install. Most car shops will have zero clue on how to make things sound anywhere near as good as whats shown in this thread.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive-10.html

The reason I can't audition is I can't find a place that carries both to compare. Also needed technical advice. But don't worry - I don't want to waste your valuable time - no need to reply. The helpful posts from others actually trying to assist will suffice.

Jeff,

Thanks for the detailed response! I appreciate it. I went to an installer and he said I'd need a LCS or LEC6 or some such thing. Said it would reduce the noise from the head unit - not sure what that is. I know on my home subwoofer I needed a filter to reduce electrical hum. Might be a line output converter, might be some sort of signal processor. I am definitely a noob so I appreciate the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
overall budget?

how bad do you want to keep the stock deck?

anyway, JL makes nice comps. id go with them over Focal. Focals are known for being bright sounding. and id amp them and deaden the doors to get the most out of them

Thanks - I think my max budget is around $1400.

I'd like to keep the stock deck if at all possible as it is tied into everything - android auto, bt calling, and a ton of other car functions.

Does it have good EQ sound features ? Or just convenience features?
Sorry - I'm not sure what is the right term. It doesn't have a real equalizer - just a gain control for midrange, bass and treble.

I think one of the integrators wanted to sell me an LC6i if I bought the speakers and an amp.

Jeff,
Thanks for the detailed response! I appreciate it. I went to an installer and he said I'd need a LCS or LEC6 or some such thing. Said it would reduce the noise from the head unit - not sure what that is. I know on my home subwoofer I needed a filter to reduce electrical hum. Might be a line output converter, might be some sort of signal processor. I am definitely a noob so I appreciate the advice.
You need to eliminate the stock deck from the equation completely with a DSP that can signal sum and flatten the EQ signal along with restoring the bass.

The shop's recommendation is garbage, audio control lc6i belongs in museums, literally does nothing other than boosting voltage, you are still subjected to the built in stock EQ curve that is inherent and unchangeable along with aggressive built in high pass filters. Manufacturers do that to make up for the garbage speakers they use to make them sound better than they should be. This literally gives you a horrible signal that will sound like absolute garbage regardless of what setup you put on your car.

While a proper DSP actually flattens and signal sums all the high level inputs and outputs a flat, clean and full audio signal of much higher resolution. This is literally the core part and the first thing you take care of in any real sound quality setup.

I'd skip that install place and find some place that knows how to do proper sound quality setups. That shop is outdated and cant keep up with the times and current standard of sound quality which is extremely high and is most likely out of their capabilities if the best they can recommend is an LC6i which is a red flag.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.