Cons on a Toyota Corolla

DIPayton
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I need help convincing my parents that a Toyota Corolla is not a good purchase. And really, I have nothing against Corolla's... My main problem is this:

I am buying the car out of my own money (a loan) and my parents are co-signing on the loan so they feel they deserve some say in what vehicle I pick. I got a loan high enough that I can afford a 2002 Maxima SE 6 speed that I want... but my mom, who knows nothing about cars says she wants the Corolla and that Maxima's aren't good and a bunch of junk. A co-worker at her work really convinced her that Corolla's are better than the top of the line Mercedes lol.

So give me some cons on the car that I can feed to my parents... I don't want to get a Corolla when I know I can get a Maxima for about $2000 more.

Comparing the 2 vehicles:

2002 Maxima SE 6 speed (96,000 km's)

Fully loaded

being bought from used car dealership with very cheap/limited warranty

vs

2002 Toyota Corolla 5 speed (55,000 Km's)

ripped up cloth interior

being bought from a co-worker of my mom's with no warranty

Please help me. I really need to find cons on Corollas... Things my mom would hate, safety problems and things along that line... re-sell values... reliability (I do expect the Corolla to be a longer lasting car tho... but who knows?)

oh, and Pros for the Maxima would help me out too lol... but don't just say it's a better car because it's faster and a lot more fun to drive lol, I already tried that.

One thing I noticed about the Corolla that my mom likes is that it does not shift nearly as smooth... but I don't know... help me guys

You're gonna lose. Insurance premiums FTL. But perhaps you should try and find something you both like that is between the Corolla, which is a lame econobox, and the Maxima, which is more upscale and sporty. Perhaps some more research is in order. She's sold on the Corolla because it is from someone she knows, it's cheap to insure for you, gas won't cost as much, and it costs less. For parents, that's a done deal. So find something better. http://www.autotrader.com ftw.

they start to burn oil after u put some miles on them, im talking about 1000 miles on a oil change and u will be low on oil. Besides that they run like a champ, jus a little jittery due to the 4 banger

all in all the corolla is the better car and besides being slower than the maxima you have no argument. also i would have to agree that i see corollas doing better than the pos benzs out there the benz is just an over priced car that has a following. but sense you say that your mom knows nothing about cars make up a bunch of stuff and also make her realize that its your car not hers and that you are the one that will have to deal with it and not her. if you have good argumentative skillls it should be easy.

all in all the corolla is the better car and besides being slower than the maxima you have no argument. also i would have to agree that i see corollas doing better than the pos benzs out there the benz is just an over priced car that has a following. but sense you say that your mom knows nothing about cars make up a bunch of stuff and also make her realize that its your car not hers and that you are the one that will have to deal with it and not her. if you have good argumentative skillls it should be easy.

Whats the major problems with the benz

you're 18...
do not buy a 2002 model anything...

insurance will be stupidly high...

not to mention, in 5 years, the car will be worth half what you paid for it...

get a nice, mid 90's vehicle.... preferably a toyota... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
well I am 19... just realized in m ca.com profile it says 18... but yea...

My parents will not buy ANYTHING in the 90's... Trust me, I picked out some real nice '97, '98 and '99 cars and my parents will not even let me look at them... because my last car was a '96 Ford and broke down daily... oh and it was also a car my mom picked out because a co-worker of hers was selling it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

also i would have to agree that i see corollas doing better than the pos benzs
I agree Toyota's are nice... but my mom would seriously turn down a new Mercedes S600 for a broke down '92 Corolla if she had to make the choice. And I am not exagerating at all... she seriously thinks Corollas are the BEST car ever made. And I really have no problems with them, they are great on gas, cheap, and long lasting... that's why I need help bashing them...

yeha, well, it was a ford, what do you expect? :p
get a nice toyota, and do the right thing!!!

if they have already signed for the loan or whatever, and the loan is already approved, what can they do about it? lol
I told them it was gonna be a Fix Or Repair Daily, but they do not listen to me at all.... even when it comes to spending my money.

Whats the major problems with the benz
mechanically they are not worth what you would spend for them. they just dont last. mainly what you pay for is the name and because there is such a big following they get away with it.

What is wrong with Ford models. The newer model Focus' are very nice. I would suggest that in a heartbeat. I love my little st focus. Drives great, plus is cheap on insurance and this sucker goes. I would look into that. I might be bias, but I have had quite a few rides in my day. Also I think the Maxima's are pretty pimp and run very good, but to be honest the corolla is a very good running car as well. I say you couldnt lose any any of the above mentioned besides a little more money for the Maxima. Good luck!

I understand that you're looking for arguments against the Corolla but the ones that exist are limited at best and non-existent at worse. Toyota has sold more Corollas worldwide than every other kind of car (including other Toyota products) combined.

You simply do not move that many units by building junk - period.

The insurance on the Maxima will be higher.

The fuel consumption on the Maxima will be more.

The price for getting the Maxima worked on, should that become a necessity, will be higher.

The Maxima has almost twice the amount of kilometers on it for the same year model.

The only real upside to the Maxima as opposed to the Corolla is size...there is more room in the Nissan....and the 'fun-to-drive' factor which is an incredibly important aspect to a 19-yr-old and one that parents simply do not take into account (as they have matured sufficiently to understand that it isn't nearly so important as their 19 yr old progeny would have them believe).

Truly I understand why you would want the Maxima instead of the Corolla. Really I do. The bottom line, however, is the Corolla is a better idea in the long run.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.