Connected 2 amps via distribution blocks, mono to subs blows fuses

06legacy

So I've had a Kenwood 1200W 4 channel running all my component speakers for about 2 years. Using a clarion vx401 head unit idk if that matters. Recently decided I needed bass in my life, so I bought a Rockford Fosgate Prime R2501D amp and 2 rockford r2 10 inch subs. The kenwood doesnt have outputs so i ran my 4 gauge power wire through a distribution block and my 4 gauge ground wire through a distribution block, splitting both the power and ground wires into two 8 gauge wires, and spliced the rem wires together. then I hooked up the rockford amp and the subs and it worked, until i turned the volume above a normalish volume, probably just about half of what my speakers can do, and the subs instantly stopped working. come to find out that the 25amp fuse blew. checked all connections, made sure no wires were touching, and put a new fuse in. once again same thing happened. tried one more fuse and the same thing happened again... please help im tired of buying fuses!

read this article on how to properly fuse multiple wires FUSES

tl;dr you need to have your 4 gauge wire fused for the total of each of your amps power needs (add their fuse ratings..) and then the fused distribution block should be fused accordingly for each amp from there.

your problem is likely that your fuse is too small for the power requirements of both amps.

ok so which fuse do you think is too small? the kenwood has two 30 amp fuses and the rockford uses one 25 amp. the distribution block for the power wire uses i believe two 30 watt fuses. and i dont think the distribution block for the negative wire is fused but i could be wrong. ive just never connected two amps before so im very new with this.

ok so which fuse do you think is too small? the kenwood has two 30 amp fuses and the rockford uses one 25 amp. the distribution block for the power wire uses i believe two 30 watt fuses. and i dont think the distribution block for the negative wire is fused but i could be wrong. ive just never connected two amps before so im very new with this.
So you ran a new pair of RCAs from the clarion to the RF amp? Then you have a dist block for the power wire and spliced the remote wire. Now can you explain what you did with the ground wires? Also, what model is your clarion and what is your gain on the RF set to?

30a+30a+25a=???...85a?...and you have a 25a on the power supply on 4 ga?? That Blew??LOL..I wonder if my addition is incorrect??NEED MORE INFO ON YOUR POWER SUPPLY WIRING FROM BATTERY TO DISTRO BLOCK.DO YOU HAVE A FUSE AT YOUR BATTERY? IF SO WHAT SIZE IS IT?WHAT SIZED FUSES DID YOU PACE IN THE DISTRO BLOCK FOR EACH AMP ON POWER BLOCK? DID YOU RUN GROUND WIRES TO A DIFFERENT DISTRO?SOLID DISTRO BLOCK?TO A SOLID GROUND POINT?HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR AMPLIFIER CONNECTIONS TO MAKE SURE YOU DID NOT PLACE + and - Connections in the wrong terminals?Possitive connections are not grounding out on the amplifier housing,or thet the distro power blocks are grounding out?CHECK YOUR WIRING>

Wait the only fuse that blew is the 25a on the rf amp for your sub's? You said you checked for shorted power and grounds? If so check the speaker wires to your sub's at the amp, the box terminals and inside the box at the sub's. Also make sure that both sub's are wired the same exact same way. Since it's only popping after you turn it up, I doubt that it is a power to ground short, and if it is indeed just the amp fuse blowing, assuming that is the right fuse that goes in that amp (check your manual) then I bet it's your speaker wires or wiring configuration. To be sure you can unplug the speaker wires from the amp and do exactly what you did before when the fuse blew and then check your fuse. If it doesn't blow then you know your problem is in the speaker wire somewhere (again this is assuming that the fuse rating is correct). If it still blows then it's only one of two things. Your power/ground wiring to the amp or a bad amp

sounds like a toasted amp. if it was signal issue it should go into protect and not popping fuses. might need to send it out for warranty.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.