Confusion on Dual 2 Ohms and Dual 4 Ohms

CannMann21
10+ year member

BC
I have 2 12" alpine type r subs sitting in my room and they are the old model, swr-1222d. Now im wondering what is better to go with, dual 4's or dual 2's? I dont really know the whole wiring to 1 ohm, 2ohm, etc so can someone explain it to me. If i have dual 2's what kind of amp would i be looking at and if i have dual 4's, what kind of amp also?

Im trying to see if its worth it to sell the dual 2's and get dual 4's because apparently its a better choice?

Two D2s would wire to .5ohm or 2ohm, two D4s would wire to 1ohm or 4ohm. Its generally cheaper to get an amp at 1ohm, but not all that much. And the lower the resistance, the more hit it takes on your electrical.

Two 2ohm coils wire to .5 or 4 ohm. two 4ohm coils wire to 2 or 8 ohm.
check out Basic Car Audio Electronics for all of your questions... will be happy to answer any questions you may have after reading that site.
dont listen to this clown

A single Dual 4 can be wired to 8 ohms or 2 ohms. Put 2 of them together and you have a final wiring option of 1 or 4 ohms. With the dual 2, you can wire it to 4 ohms or 1 ohm, with the final load of 2 subs being 2 ohms or 0.5 ohms.

Since you have 2 dual 2's, you'd be best looking at an amp that will do 1000-1200 watts on a 2 ohm load. Running amps at .5 ohms can be dangerous if you don't have a good electrical setup because it can harm the amp via voltage drops.

Something like this would work well. (IIRC, you can use the promo code "BEMINE" and it only costs $160.)

dont listen to this clown
A single Dual 4 can be wired to 8 ohms or 2 ohms. Put 2 of them together and you have a final wiring option of 1 or 4 ohms. With the dual 2, you can wire it to 4 ohms or 1 ohm, with the final load of 2 subs being 2 ohms or 0.5 ohms.

Since you have 2 dual 2's, you'd be best looking at an amp that will do 1000-1200 watts on a 2 ohm load. Running amps at .5 ohms can be dangerous if you don't have a good electrical setup because it can harm the amp via voltage drops.

Something like this would work well. (IIRC, you can use the promo code "BEMINE" and it only costs $160.)
oh ok so yeah, definately going to want to wire it at 2 ohms then. thanks for the great suggestion. $160 is a killer deal!

any other amp suggestions? what about the audioque 1200d or the hifonics brutus bxi 16010d?

so basically i got 2 different answers here...
SmartAss was referring to each individual sub. A D2 sub can wire to either 1ohm or 4ohms, then the pair can be wired together to either 8ohms, 2ohms, or 1/2ohm. A D4 sub can wire to either 2ohms or 8ohms, then the pair can be wired together to either 16ohms, 4ohms, or 1ohm.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh ok so yeah, definately going to want to wire it at 2 ohms then. thanks for the great suggestion. $160 is a killer deal!
any other amp suggestions? what about the audioque 1200d or the hifonics brutus bxi 16010d?
CADENCE ZRS-C65 2400 WATT CLASS D MONO CAR AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 300496103673 end time Mar-22-11 12:09:26 PDT)

Just got that for my two SA-10 D2s. Cadence is a great company, with great customer support, and has a two year warranty on the amp. Plus audiosavings ships very quickly. Ran it pretty hard for an hour long trip and was cool to the touch when I got there. Its rated to make 1200w @ 2ohm 13.8v.

******** was referring to each individual sub. A D2 sub can wire to either 1ohm or 4ohms,
Yes, thank you!
I made a dumb mistake last night when I was drinking. the .5 ohm was suppose to be a 1, and I was thinking of the impedance of a single sub with dual coils like mentioned.

Sorry for the confusion. seriously check out the site I posted though, it should really help you with the basics, and you won't have to rely on others to tell you the correct information. People make mistakes and some just are misinformed, it happens.

The clown...

SmartAss was referring to each individual sub. A D2 sub can wire to either 1ohm or 4ohms, then the pair can be wired together to either 8ohms, 2ohms, or 1/2ohm. A D4 sub can wire to either 2ohms or 8ohms, then the pair can be wired together to either 16ohms, 4ohms, or 1 ohm.
Fixed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

audioque would be good, so would something like a sundown amp. Both are pretty costly, though. I would avoid the hifonics

Yes, thank you!
I made a dumb mistake last night when I was drinking. the .5 ohm was suppose to be a 1, and I was thinking of the impedance of a single sub with dual coils like mentioned.

Sorry for the confusion. seriously check out the site I posted though, it should really help you with the basics, and you won't have to rely on others to tell you the correct information. People make mistakes and some just are misinformed, it happens.

The clown...
Hahaha no problem man. I will check out that site though, it's good to know the stuff.

audioque would be good, so would something like a sundown amp. Both are pretty costly, though. I would avoid the hifonics
Yeah I heard sundown is a very good company but im trying to keep the price from $300 and down. I probably just gotta search some sites, see what kind of deals are out there. $215 for the cadence seems good, but would a 2400 watt amp be overkill? ( I know it would be wired at 1200) I found the audioque for $230. Would the extra $70 be an upgrade over the mb quart?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.