1999 Ranger, replacing aftermarket head unit confusion

Participant count
  • Participant list

eberto

CarAudio.com Newbie
Guys I come to you in a moment of need. I recently picked up a 99 Ranger, and it already had an aftermarket Sony head in it. Unfortunately, that head was on its way out, so I picked up a cheaper Jensen (I know, I know) to tide me over temporarily. After watching numerous videos, I felt fairly confident going in that it was going to be a simple swap... and then I took the old unit out.

Instead of one harness to plug into, the Sony harness came out into the larger, translucent harness with the speaker wires coming from it, and appears to be hardwired into it (2nd pic), which then had another harness running to the stock harness (5th pic).

I am at a loss as to how I need to wire this now, and I'm hoping someone much smarter than I can offer me a little assistance.

Pic 1 - stock harness from car
Pic 2 - second harness coming from car, along with the connector to the old Sony head
Pic 3 - new harness
Pic 4 - harness from new Jensen unit
Pic 5 - connector from second harness to stock harness

Thank you guys!

Edit: so after digging a bit more I figured out there’s a power pack attached, and that’s where the speaker wires are coming from. So now I’m even less sure of how to proceed.

Attachments

• IMG_6831.JPG
    IMG_6831.JPG
    686.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6832.JPG
    IMG_6832.JPG
    605.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6833.JPG
    IMG_6833.JPG
    600.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6834.JPG
    IMG_6834.JPG
    624.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6835.JPG
    IMG_6835.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6836.jpeg
    IMG_6836.jpeg
    642.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
So now I’m even less sure of how to proceed.
Are you planning on reusing the power pack? If yes cut the wires at the top red arrow only. Connect your new radio harness to the translucent one following color code. The RCAs will connect to the RCAs on the new radio. Put it all back in, boom. You are done.
Screenshot_20230617-221825~2.png

If you are not reusing the power pack, cut all wires at both arrows. Discard power pack and all it's wires. Connect the new radio harness to the translucent following color code. Put all back in. Jam out.
Reuse the transition connector of picture 5.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...