Confused by all the car audio rhetoric!

Participant count
  • Participant list

WardenJ

I'm shopping around for the right speakers and an amp to put in my 99 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab (not the 4 door) and every single shop has something different to say and I'm having a hard time sorting it all out. It seems everytime I think I am getting a handle on the situation, something comes up that changes it all.

I was figuring I'd put components in the front and Coaxials in the rear, however most recently I was told I'd be better off putting components in the front, and in the rear, but not hooking up the tweeter in the rear. This way I'd be able to pick up some more low end without having a sub. Has anyone done this with good results? Does it even make sense? I'm told since the rear speakers are closer to my ear relative to the front, that I'd be bombarded with high end and it would sound like crap. Of course the next shop i go to tells me I should get coaxes in the rear and it'll be fine.

How do JL Audio speakers compare to Alpine in your opinion? I was interested in the Alpine Type-R components, but I was told they are overpriced for the quality and that the JL TR 650 Csi is just as good. The TR's dont use external crossovers though, is this bad? What about the JL XR series?

Lastly, I was told that the wattage rating usually quoted by amp manufacturers are mostly BS. It made sense since the 75W amp i was checking out was at 14.4V which is higher than the standard car system. So if I get 70W speakers and I want a 75W amp, do I really need to get like a 90W unit? If I get something like a 50W amp to run the 70W speakers, does the volume need to be seriously loud (like louder than most would ever use) to experience distortion or does it all depend on a million variables?

I'm getting frustrated at all the different and contradictory set ups people are throwing at me and I don't know how to determine what's best for my situation.

Thanks for any insight!

as far as the Alpine Type R components and the JL TR series. I have listened to both. And in my honest opinion I prefer the alpine. I know that the Alpine tweeters are harsh, but the TR's just dont offer, for lack of a better term, "a good sound".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.