Component wiring help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Vegas WRX
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have done many of my own setups in the past and am pretty knowledgeable on the wiring for the subs and all. Something I have never done is run 2ohm components. I have always ran straight 4 ohm off all channels.

My question is how to wire the 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers?

I have this amp:

MB Quart DSC 480 4-channel A/B Amplifier

RMS Power Rating:

4 ohms: 80 watts x 4 chan.

2 ohms: 160 watts x 4 chan.

Bridged, 4 ohms: 320 watts x 2 chan.

And I am looking to pick up these components for the front:

RE XXX Series 2-Way Car Component System 6.5"

Power Handling:

Peak: 600 watts per set / 300 watts each side

RMS: 300 watts per set / 150 watts each side

2 ohms impedance.

Not sure what rear coaxials I am going to do.

Now if I decide to run rear coaxials, do I NEED to run 2 ohm coaxials? Or can I run 4 ohm to the rear to keep my rear output to 80x4? I am just not sure if I can split the amp up in the resistance it is pulling and how it affects the power output. Are the channels independent?

Now this is a long shot but I have seen people are severly overpowering the XXXs. Can I bridge the amp to power the components (and buy 4 ohm set) and push 320 to them (no rear speakers off amp), or is this way overpowering them? I take it this amp is over ratted. If I do go that route, do I "y" split the front RCAs to plug into all 4 channels, or do I just run the front RCAs into the front channel?

Thanks for any and all help, and or recommendations.

The front and rear channels are separate. This is how you can bridge a 4-channel amp and separate it into F and R to do 2 channels. You don't need to run the same impedance of speakers on the front and rear channels.

If you aren't comfortable setting up component speakers and full range amplifiers I would not try that amplifier bridged. It can be done, but you have to understand the risks, and part of that is learned through experience. Start with the basics and run the amp un-bridged to the speakers. As for how to bridge it and run the RCAs, that should be detailed in the manual.

Thanks for the info. Where I am confused is I have always ran multiple amps that I purchased new and perfectly paired for the speakers I bought. So I never had an issue of needing to bridge an amp or be off with the power settings. This cars setup I have decided to buy some used equipment to save some money, therefor I am having to make due with what I find good deals on.

Are you certain you have room to fit the XXX mids? That's one of the better 6.5" sets for a lot of midbass, but it's a very deep woofer. I would expect it to do fine on 80W per side. You can spend the money you'd otherwise put toward a different amplifier and instead spend it on sound deadening materials.

Are you certain you have room to fit the XXX mids? That's one of the better 6.5" sets for a lot of midbass, but it's a very deep woofer. I would expect it to do fine on 80W per side. You can spend the money you'd otherwise put toward a different amplifier and instead spend it on sound deadening materials.
I can go to a max of 3.7" mounting with a 1.5" spacer. I The re is 3.5", so it should not hit and will leave room for an excursion of the midbass. I am worried about the tweeter fitting. Everyone has issues with aftermarket tweeters in the stock locations.

I am doing the research on the sound deadening that I am going to use now. A ton of reading!!

Because the xxx's are 2 ohm, I should be seeing 160 to each side. After any voltage drop and the amp probably not doing that rated, I will be under recommended power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.