Component rear fill

wong05tsx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Oakland, CA
Yea yea yea screw rear fill just run a good front!

but from what i've seen, most of the reponses are coming from people who drive trucks, suv's, 4x4's and coupes.

I have a mid-size sedan.

In the middle of a whole new amp renovation and considering picking up some Hertz ESK165's components for the rears off 120watts (From a Sundown SAX 100.2)

My fronts are Hertz HSK165 components that'll get 320watts, coming from a Sundown SAX 100.4.

I will set the gains conservatively on the 100.2 so that the rear comps does not overshadow the fronts.

I couldn't find any other thread about somebody running components in the rears, but I did find about 500 posts about people saying screw rear fill, but then again the majority is truck/suv/coupe owners.

My friend is running ADS comp fronts and diamond rear components in his acura TL. I don't find his staging messed up because of it.

What'dya think?

If he actually has the rears playing, I think you need to listen to some more demanding material //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yea yea yea screw rear fill just run a good front!but from what i've seen, most of the reponses are coming from people who drive trucks, suv's, 4x4's and coupes.

I have a mid-size sedan.

In the middle of a whole new amp renovation and considering picking up some Hertz ESK165's components for the rears off 120watts (From a Sundown SAX 100.2)

My fronts are Hertz HSK165 components that'll get 320watts, coming from a Sundown SAX 100.4.

I will set the gains conservatively on the 100.2 so that the rear comps does not overshadow the fronts.

I couldn't find any other thread about somebody running components in the rears, but I did find about 500 posts about people saying screw rear fill, but then again the majority is truck/suv/coupe owners.

My friend is running ADS comp fronts and diamond rear components in his acura TL. I don't find his staging messed up because of it.

What'dya think?
it's just not worth it. Get a good set of coaxil's if your willing to spend that much money.

it's just not worth it. Get a good set of coaxil's if your willing to spend that much money.
eyein that set on the classifieds here. 100$, not too bad

on that note of coaxials. can the pioneer revs handle 120 rms? what higher quality coax's are there in the 100$ range, +-20-40$

eyein that set on the classifieds here. 100$, not too bad

on that note of coaxials. can the pioneer revs handle 120 rms? what higher quality coax's are there in the 100$ range, +-20-40$
I gave mine 100 watts from a US Amps XT1600.4 and they took it fine. I don't see why not as long as you do as the magic phrase says (set your gains right).

Higher quality coaxils? Probably. They are pretty nice though. I like the Boston SL95's myself, and probably the Focal, Morel or some brand of the like's 6x9's would be nicer, but you wont be dissapointed with those Rev's if you give them 120 watts. Thats for sure.

FYI I have an '01 Toyota Avalon (Full size sedan) and I took my rear comps out. It's not just about the size of the car. My rear passengers have no problem hearing the music, and I get wows from them. When I sat in the back WITH my rear comps when I had them, I heard them, not really the front comps. It's tough because they're right behind you. To each their own. Just saying, I was skeptical of the "screw rear fill" thing too, but I tried it and learned my lesson =P. Try it out though, you may feel differently.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I needed more rear in my sedan too. It sounded like my side mirrors were talking to me and nothing else. I also found people saying to forget about the rear.

I bought a cheap set of comps used from CraigsList and run them mostly for midbass and just a little bit from the tweeters. I can look at the settings if you want, but full tweets were too much, so I kicked them back like several thousand. Decent coax would work fine as well. Also, I turned the power up on these so that the midbass kicked in sooner.

I cannot remember the comps in the rear (orion maybe), but if it helps the front are K2P and both are on a 450/4.

I needed more rear in my sedan too. It sounded like my side mirrors were talking to me and nothing else. I also found people saying to forget about the rear.
That sounds like an issue with not spending enough time tuning/aiming the front stage, vs. needing "rear fill".

if you do rear fill, try to stay as much away from directional frequencies if you can.. it takes some serious processing and knowledge to do rear fill correctly full range

There is no point in putting components in the rear because anything thing that is not adding to imaging (left and right) is only subtracting. The rear deck could be suitable for midbass but I would never play anything near vocal range frequencies or above in the rear if you want to preserve imaging in the front. If you are trying to create imaging for rear passengers then that is a much more tricky install.

If you are trying to create imaging for rear passengers then that is a much more tricky install.
Only way I see that working is to do doorpods aimed up at them, with a soundproof barrier at the B-pillars, limousine-style //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well if we are going to do it limo style then you might as well embed the tweeters inside the sound barrier. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Spend some time with your front stage.... make sure you are getting the most out of it. Deadening? Axis orientation? Crossover slope and frequency? Etc, etc, etc. If, after all that, you still want rear fill, then I'd recommend a pair of coaxs off HU power to start with. The REVs are a great recommendation.

Spend some time with your front stage.... make sure you are getting the most out of it. Deadening? Axis orientation? Crossover slope and frequency? Etc, etc, etc. If, after all that, you still want rear fill, then I'd recommend a pair of coaxs off HU power to start with. The REVs are a great recommendation.
Thanks, kind of looking into some type of Midbass drivers for the rear doors, any recommendations on those?

I'm fully happy with my fronts, speakers are in stock locations but I'd like to keep it that way, everything looks stock if you look inside my car. My front doors are double layer deadened with Dynamat Xtremed, it is like a concert in there. but, i just want that extra UUMMMMPPHH by throwin something in the rear doors as well, if ya know what i mean.

Trying to find some used 6.5" revs.

What'ya think of those SPX-177A mids thats for sale in the classifieds? 50$, not bad of a deal imo, havn't heard them though

edit: also, i can't run off Hu power, im running a custom made factory amp bypass harness (have navi, would like to keep all the sounds etc), so i've only got rca's to play with. Got a sundown sax 100.2 for the rears, just need to decide what mids to get

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.