Component + Amp for a specific kind of music (Metal)

Mosho
10+ year member

Israel
Hello, I am looking for a new amp+component. The size needs to be 5.25 and the amp needs to power the set actively + my sub (about 500w at 2ohm would do, probably less).

I listen to metal mostly, old stuff like pantera, metallica, megadeth but also newer heavier types. So I need a pretty fast mid. I'm currently using Profi Vanadium mids and Morel's Suprimo Piccolo tweeters.

I'm getting a new car so those have to go. I thought about a Memphis MCH1300 or a Mcintosh MC440. For the components, I was recommended MB Quart's Q series, and also looked into CDT Eurosport. My budget is about 1500$ for both.

Thanks!

I don't know how bright of a tweeter you like, but judging by what you listed in your current vehicle, not too bright. I listen to the same kind of music, just as a reference.

Though I have the pre-Rockford Corp. / Maxxsonics buyout product....I have a set of MB Quart Q-series 6.5 components in front doors and just the mids in back for rear fill....I, along with quite a few people find the tweeters are a bit harsh around 2.5k to 3k. With the proper processing you can tame them, but my personal preference, I still find them harsh.

Ive also heard that the quality of MB Quart has gone downhill since the changing of hands. But that's hear-say, I can't say from personal experience.

I've never tried anything other than the setup I have now, and though I really like it, other setups might work as well!

I just bought the Mcintosh MC440, 4x50, so a 100w comp would work nicely (though mcintosh watts are not you everyday watts :p). That leaves me with 500$ (yeah the Mcintosh was 1000$ including shipping to Israel from the US), which would equate to about 450$ for the comp itself. I found this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CDT-AUDIO-ES-520-NEW-EUROSPORT-5-25-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ110375605387QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item110375605387&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

For metal your going to want to get Aluminum or metal alloy tweeters and

magnesium or Aluminum cone midranges. Just kidding, although those combos may

be perfectly acceptable.

Why not rip out you current speakers and use them, well at least the piccolo's?

Were you happy with the Profi/Supremo setup? Were you active or passive?

So wait, you had a Rainbow/Morel setup, you're getting a Mc and you chose CDT?

I'd probably keep the speakers you had, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work for metal. Just have to install them properly...

Exactly, or ship me the piccolo's and I'll ship you some seas to

put in the car before you sell it:laugh:

Yeah I realize I'm degrading my system, but I have no choice, you see, there's a catch...

I'm buying a new car, and I don't want crazy builds like I have now. So a 5.25'' mid and a 1'' tweeter is all I can "afford" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif That's why I got the mcintosh, for the clean build. Right now I'm running 2 Mcintoshes under the seats, I don't want that kind of installation in my new (brand new) car. I want to get the most from the lesser components I'm about to buy, which is why I'm going for Mcintosh again. I've tried the Mcintosh amps with various setups and they're just... perfect in every way.

And the rainbow/piccolo are absolutely sick for metal, unfortunately //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I've listened to so many, I think I've just about nailed it with my current setup.

Maybe if I "upgrade" my budget I can get some ribbons, I think I can find a place to put those.

Also, I'm from Israel, there aren't many options here, so you guys could really make or break my rig :p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.