competition worthy???

how bout a zx 1500 or an atomic 1600 watt class d I think a used zx and an atomic should go for the same price... Right now I have a dx1000.1 rockin amp! (i think so anyways) how would that fair? Its 1000 watt rms and 2000 watt peak @ 2 ohms. Only problem is I dont know if atomic subs come in 2 ohm versions
"Peak" is generally ********. Kicker amps make rated power as do Atomic and either amp that size should be reliable. I think a second battery would run either... really I'd use an extra battery before I bought a HO alternator unless I just didn't have space for the battery (a few members on here have good deals on refurb batteries, I'd start there).

I'd bet Atomic has a dual 1 ohm coil which would run to .5 ohm or 2 ohm for you.

dont really have the space for the extra battery (ext cab ranger...) and the alt is a little more than a nice battery.... I might try to make room though, but can my 80 amp alt handle another battery. And I think Ill go with that 1600 watt atomic.

i thought it was this
power amp makes/.7(effiiency )/14.4 or 13.5? to get how much ampres it can draw at any givin time.
Why don't amp companies just rate at efficiency then?
So if a amp is rated at say 87% efficient then it would be more like (2000w-13%)/14v?
Both class A/B and class D are approx 80% efficient at full tilt (a little less for a/b, a little more for d, depending on the exact design). So simply multiply your math by 1.2 to get the approximate maximum amperage draw.

Both class A/B and class D are approx 80% efficient at full tilt (a little less for a/b, a little more for d, depending on the exact design). So simply multiply your math by 1.2 to get the approximate maximum amperage draw.
From what I've received for info from competitors around here, A/B's are roughly half as efficient as a Class D amp is. You also have to take into account that music is dynamic, so the 2,000w you set your amp to will probably never be seen by your sub anyways.

You've received incorrect info.
Have a local buddy here who has one some pretty big awards for his work so I dont doubt his experience, and from our conversation last night he said he's found that if you are drawing roughly 600w of A/B power it's around the same as 1000-1200w of D power, which makes sense cause I'm getting the same amount of voltage drop off 600w of A/B power than I was running roughly 1200

Class a/b is usually 50-60% efficient. Anything else said is simply untrue. If they were similar efficiencies, there would be absolutely no reason to go with a class d vs a/b since you have degraded signal with class d. Class d amplifiers are usually ~70% efficient and up. The lower the impedence on a class d, the less efficient it becomes. Some companies pad the efficiency rating by using a really high impedence. Don't be fooled.

"Theoretical power efficiency of class D amplifiers is 100%. That is to say, all of the power supplied to it is delivered to the load, none is turned to heat. This is because an ideal switch in its on state will conduct all current but has no voltage across it, hence no heat is dissipated. And when it is off, it will have the full supply voltage standing across it, but no current flows through it. Again, no heat is dissipated. Real-life power MOSFETs are not ideal switches, but practical efficiencies well over 90% are common. By contrast, linear AB-class amplifiers are always operated with both current flowing through and voltage standing across the power devices. An ideal class B amplifier has a theoretical maximum efficiency of 78%."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

You can see there that it's easy to fudge the numbers and make them seem similar, but in reality class d is ~25% more efficient than class a/b.

okay heres what Im thinkin.... 1 atomic ele 18, twin hc600b's, and a db electrical 250 amp alt + stock batt (upgrade later maybe?)... Still cannot decide between the atomic 1600 or a sundown saz2500. And what should I do for box size and port size?

Amplifier efficiency is not linear. In other words, your amplifier does not have the same efficiency at all output levels, it varies. Class D's tend to have the most efficiency advantage over A/B's at low to moderate output levels. Most D's have an efficiency of around 80% at peak output, and A/B's tend to top out in the 70% region. Believe me if you want, or dont, but that is simply the truth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.