Comparing 6.5" Mid Ranges

SeniorXJ
10+ year member

I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of Hertz SV 165.1 6.5" mids for $279 when I came across a pair of Faital Pro 6FE200 4 ohm 6.5" with similar specs for $132.

Hertz SV 165.1 Specs:

rms watts unknown

400 watts peak

97 db

100hz to 10k

4 ohm

Cost $279 pair

Faital Pro 6FE200 Specs:

130 watts rms

260 watts peak

95 db

85hz to 6k

4 ohm

Cost $132 pair

I'm worried the sound quality will be less on the Faitals, but am also worried im just paying for the name with the Hertz. Can someone chime in on this and let me know if the Hertz are worth twice the money than the Faitals?

Note: I'm looking for ear bleeding mids without ANY distortion and im gonna run them active (Pioneer 80PRS) with some super tweets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive run alot of the hertz line. Started using raw drivers recently. The hertz hsk line and up are great sounding but overpriced. The dsk, esk, and any line below hsk Is a waste of time and money.

Zaphaudio.com check out 6.5driver comparison

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I also don't care for the lower Hertz lines but they are for a different market. But the upper lines are far from overpriced. My XLs have been through 2 cars and still make my jaw drop. I had had zero need to change them and it's hard to find a mid with that much output and still have killer mid bass.

This is a single set of Hertz XLs with a 150db sub stage. The show line has a very noticeable increase in output.

The 2 are so close that it only makes sense to go with the Faital Pro. They're more linear, have an fs of 110hz with a higher Xmas of 4.7 and are half the cost.

Now I gotta match up a compression tweeter to it. Any other suggestions other than the peerless? Looking for 4 ohms and around 105 db!

The 2 are so close that it only makes sense to go with the Faital Pro. They're more linear, have an fs of 110hz with a higher Xmas of 4.7 and are half the cost.
Now I gotta match up a compression tweeter to it. Any other suggestions other than the peerless? Looking for 4 ohms and around 105 db!
Not a compression tweeter. A HLCD

Im a fan of Hertz. They sound great, get loud and handle power. I have a pair of XL mids i need to get around to installing

How many mids do you plan to run? Unless you plan on running between 4-8 mids per tweeter idk why you would need such an efficient tweeter. If you want to blend with a single mid you need similar output or a tad less being our ears are more sensitive to highs. There is also nothing wrong with 8ohm if the sensitivity will make up for reduced power.

I'd look into alphard then break it down between hertz and alp. I run products from both so not really a nut rider per say. Can't compare speakers just on numbers. The hertz cone (material) prob cost what the entire faital speaker cost in materials and manf. Hertz has spent years an millions in r&d to get where they are and that's a reason they still exist while others come an go. Research an spend once or end up buying again an again an never get what u really get where you want. You don't want ear bleeding mids I mean if you do you surely don't pay much for it. There is loud and there is harsh. Both let u be heard but one makes people wish you would turn it off the other has them sing along with you. If going for loud then you can't not look into PA style mids. Being you can run active I wouldn't even be looking into sets. There are so many raw drivers out there it will make your head spin. With a pair of silvers and some low end seas, SB, etc tweets I'd spank that faitals butt for rd half its cost...

Guy in speaker fs section selling a nice HAT setup could make for one nice fs is setup right. Worth a look may take $300.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many mids do you plan to run? Unless you plan on running between 4-8 mids per tweeter idk why you would need such an efficient tweeter. If you want to blend with a single mid you need similar output or a tad less being our ears are more sensitive to highs. There is also nothing wrong with 8ohm if the sensitivity will make up for reduced power.
Just a set of 6.5"s. Honestly I'm just starting to learn more about pro audio drivers & how to understand there specs. In the past ive relied on components & passive setups. Now I plan to up my game, pick out the drivers separately, & run them active (pioneer 80prs). I was going to get the Hertz SV 165s but there are equal drivers for half the price.

I've looked at Alphard but cannot find pricing or anywhere to buy em. The Hannibal x6l have caught my eye. Could you help post a link please?

Want alphard talk to Dustin Haynes, Adam Dukes or the main Russian/American Vladimir Mukhin all alphard that comes into states goes threw him. Great guys. All can be found on FB.

If you want a excellent mid range the hybrid and cdt es6 are excellent i also the focal poly kevlar and rainbow profile vanadiums.

Tge es6 is excellent crossed around 2500. The focals can play to 3500 but they are abit dryer the hat is tge best honestly but the vanadium is close second for 200 bucks its hard to beat the cdt es6s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.