Closed Cell Foam from Home Depot....

mannyahles
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Has anyone used this for the inside of door panels? It is under deck foam and it is water proof. It comes in strips 5 In. Length X .75 In. Tall and .75 In. Wide You would have to put them next to each other but they would be easy to install.

Foam.jpg

Details:

Closed Cell Foam Weather Stripping is installed on the inside of the Joist Gutters and the Boundary Gutters at the ledger board on the structure. The Weather Stripping is available in 5 In. by 1 In. strips

Interesting. It should work well. The main difference between standard closed cell foam and commerical sound panels is the commerical pads tend to be denser (so they work better on lower freq's) and they are more fire resistant (which we don't care much about in car audio).

Google the night club fire in RI to see why you should never install anything but real commerical sound treatment in buildings.

i know people that died in that fore
That *****. I am still angry about that incident.

That band did the same thing at a club I was working at in Mpls, a few years earlier.

It was a big rock club. The club allowed pyro, but there were rules. We needed 24 hours notice for the firemarshal to get a permit, and the club would bring in a union pyro technician who had done it there many times.

The band did not prearrange to do pyro, so they were told they could not do pyro. They agreed. I heard the SM tell them this.

Then durring the show the band set off giant flash pots that were way too big for the room and half of the flames had to go sideways across the ceiling. All 1500 people in the room could feel the heat and were scared.

The next day you could see huge black scortch marks on the ceiling.

Apparenetly they did this all the time. It was only a matter of time before they killed someone.

Then the most dangerous band on the road plays the most dangerous club on the road and it was a recipe for disaster.

I make my living working in theaters in clubs and I am very aware of fire dangers.

hm... i wonder if that stuff would help fill the gap between my door panel and the door itself. to keep it from vibrating/shaking. not to be used as sound deadening but to add pressure to the door panel.

i'm happy using ensolite for now however, for reference; how much is that stuff?

Each piece is $.85 so I would need 12-14 pieces for a nice backing on a door. So it would cost me more gas in my Tundra to drive to Home Depot than the foam! haha

I am on my way to Home Depot to check out the closed cell foam. If it will be easy to apply it might be a cost efficient waterproof foam we can easily get our hands on. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

IMO $.85 isn't that great for one small piece of 5"x1" foam. You can get a roll of eggcrate style cc foam from walmart for $12

IMG00083.jpg

IMO $.85 isn't that great for one small piece of 5"x1" foam. You can get a roll of eggcrate style cc foam from walmart for $12

Is walmarts egg crate waterproof? Evrytime you wash your car or it rains, some amount of water will sneak into your doors. Thats why there are holes on the bottom! ha

I was looking for waterproof style foam and you only need enough to cover the inside part of the door to absorb some waves and to help out with lower frequencies from your 6.5 woofer.

Plus I hate Wally Mart! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

yes it's water proof. It's suppose to be an underlayer to put under sleeping bags and keep you dry.

it can be found in the camping section

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.