Clipping Need Advice

Grimmjoww

CarAudio.com Veteran
Installed the new amp and I am getting minor clipping.
800amp cca battery
Big 3 complete
4awg wiring
60 amp inline (amp suggested)
Sub AB 10xd dvc 2ohm
Amp SFB 600 wired 1 ohm
Went through and dialed in gain with my fluke multi. When it hits hard I'm getting some slight clipping. My thoughts are I need a better incoming power source for the amp as I know I'm not calling for more than it can produce as the sub is rated for 450w rms and I'm right there at it. This amp produces a solid 750w rms certified. Suggestions? Thanks like always.

Do you have a voltage display? Resting voltage, voltage on medium volume, voltage when you see clipping. That would help fill in needed info.
I will get that when I get home from work. I used the square root of 450x2=900 to get my voltage. Is this correct or do you not multiply the 450 by 2 with a 1 ohm load?

I was thinking car electrical system voltage/ +12V input to amplifier.
If your electrical is weak, voltage will lower during hard hitting bass. Lower voltage = clipping easier.

I was thinking car electrical system voltage/ +12V input to amplifier.
If your electrical is weak, voltage will lower during hard hitting bass. Lower voltage = clipping easier.
I have a 90amp alternator but the battery isn't the biggest, I have a little 95 Jeep Wrangler. May look at throwing in another battery like a small XS.

With what tool have you determined this?
The remote has a clipping signal light, the amp also has one. You can hear the wave fall off as well. I have pretty much got it all tuned out. I set the amp to 21.2v and for some reason the head unit had some kind of equalization loudness setting on.

The remote has a clipping signal light, the amp also has one. You can hear the wave fall off as well. I have pretty much got it all tuned out. I set the amp to 21.2v and for some reason the head unit had some kind of equalization loudness setting on.
The circuits on amps that say "clipping" don't actually sniff out a clipped waveform, they're just turning on at some voltage selected by the manufacturer as their maximum.

That said if you are hearing audible distortion you're definitely over driving that amp and either you don't have adequate battery/alternator to feed it or you have poor/weak power or ground connections into it. Simplest fix would be to just turn the knob down a bit before turning that "clip" light solid.

The circuits on amps that say "clipping" don't actually sniff out a clipped waveform, they're just turning on at some voltage selected by the manufacturer as their maximum.

That said if you are hearing audible distortion you're definitely over driving that amp and either you don't have adequate battery/alternator to feed it or you have poor/weak power or ground connections into it. Simplest fix would be to just turn the knob down a bit before turning that "clip" light solid.
The clip light blinks a little, never solid. And the distortion I am hearing is more than likely coming from my rca cables, I cheaped out on them lol. The power and ground are 4ga ofc and everything is wired correctly. This morning I experienced zero clipping after turning the loudness setting off on my head unit. I will do more tuning and I think I will do a second battery as I was going to anyway for my winch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...