Clipping at "low" volume!?

It's been tuned by 2 different people at Car Toys, and 2 different people at another shop when the system was modified after I lost faith in Car Toys and had the system finished elsewhere. After dinking around with things myself finally, I lost a lot of loudness but have a sound I really like which is 100% worth it considering its a daily driver. The only reason I'd like to bring it back to a shop is for a custom ported box... and then hopefully find someone nearby that knows there stuff who would tune it with me present before I blow this system up.
Only reason I'd say take it back the shop is I remember what the learning curve is like...when I was first getting into car audio...I blew a fair bit gear until I started meeting people who knew...and that was way before before dsp was a thing...I had trunk mount crossovers...I will say a punch 250 puts on quite a show when you anger the dragon though 🤣🤣🤣

If you're willing to go through the curve (and risk gear)...learning to install and tune your own gear isn't a bad way to kill some free time 😁

So you jacked up the bass and treble on the EQ and wonder why you're clipping??? Try flattening the EQ, nothing above +3db. When tuning an EQ you always cut frequencies first and only boost frequencies as a last resort (to avoid clipping).

Both crossovers to the component sets are set the same as you see. Currently the level control on the DSP is -2db for everything but the subs and the EQ on the DSP is flat for now. . I thought the -2 might help but I still get the same issue with an added muddiness to the sound.

Attachments

• 20220903_161829.jpg
    20220903_161829.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220903_162009.jpg
    20220903_162009.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 18
Only reason I'd say take it back the shop is I remember what the learning curve is like...when I was first getting into car audio...I blew a fair bit gear until I started meeting people who knew...and that was way before before dsp was a thing...I had trunk mount crossovers...I will say a punch 250 puts on quite a show when you anger the dragon though 🤣🤣🤣

If you're willing to go through the curve (and risk gear)...learning to install and tune your own gear isn't a bad way to kill some free time 😁

I've been unloading info as I'm looking into things to my wife, she keeps lighting up and telling me I need to get some schooling to make it a hobby / side gig... which I'd love to get into - especially home audio. I've been hesitant to play with any of my own gear until about 6 months ago because of the price (and I know things can get MUCH more expensive).

I've learned a decent amount in that time. Though I have PLENTY more to learn... I have begun risking the gear I do have for the sake of curiosity and hopes of a reliable system which is why I'm here.

Both crossovers to the component sets are set the same as you see. Currently the level control on the DSP is -2db for everything but the subs and the EQ on the DSP is flat for now. . I thought the -2 might help but I still get the same issue with an added muddiness to the sound.

Have you phase and time aligned the system to deal with the muddiness?

I might have to look into this tuning option!

Here are some pics of the ground - I have been hesitant to take out any part of the car but at this point I'm willing to rip it all apart to get to the root of the problem.
Thats one of the Crappiest grounds Ive ever seen done for money. Self tappers..LOL and on sheet metal. What a Joke for hard earned money spent. Very Poor ground. Id be weary of the rest of the installation

Thats one of the Crappiest grounds Ive ever seen done for money. Self tappers..LOL and on sheet metal. What a Joke for hard earned money spent. Very Poor ground. Id be weary of the rest of the installation

So would you still recommend bringing it back to the shop for tuning? Coolhand20th mentioned that people at DIYMA might be able to help me figure things out for some $.

So would you still recommend bringing it back to the shop for tuning? Coolhand20th mentioned that people at DIYMA might be able to help me figure things out for some $.

Are you tuning your mids/highs first with your bass turned off? You should be tuning your mids/highs and setting the gain with the volume at 40 and your sub stage turned off. Once your mids/highs are to your liking then adjust your sub stage while the volume is still at 40.

Are you tuning your mids/highs first with your bass turned off? You should be tuning your mids/highs and setting the gain with the volume at 40 and your sub stage turned off. Once your mids/highs are to your liking then adjust your sub stage while the volume is still at 40.

I've tuned the mids / highs nicely up to a 40/50 volume. I've read it's best to keep the EQ from the HU flat when a DSP is involved, but I'd prefer to really dig into the DSPs tuning capabilities once I have the subs in a proper enclosure (ported ~ 32hz?).

Edit: All tuning has been done by ear.

I've tuned the mids / highs nicely up to a 40/50 volume. I've read it's best to keep the EQ from the HU flat when a DSP is involved, but I'd prefer to really dig into the DSPs tuning capabilities once I have the subs in a proper enclosure (ported ~ 32hz?).

Tune the mids/highs while the volume is at 40/50. Then add your sub stage while the volume remains at 40/50.

Tune the mids/highs while the volume is at 40/50. Then add your sub stage while the volume remains at 40/50.

I just did that today (sorta). I used 40 and 50hz test tones to set it. Then I listened to a select playlist I've got for tuning - quality bits from every genre - and cranked up the gain well pass the clipping point of the test tone because I didn't, by ear, notice the same issue even in the heaviest and most dynamic bass-oriented songs I listen to.

I just did that today (sorta). I used 40 and 50hz test tones to set it. Then I listened to a select playlist I've got for tuning - quality bits from every genre - and cranked up the gain well pass the clipping point of the test tone because I didn't, by ear, notice the same issue even in the heaviest and most dynamic bass-oriented songs I listen to.

It sounds like you need to leave the tuning to the pros. It's not as easy as some people think it is.

How jacked up are the bands on your DSP's equalizer and why are they jacked up? Are you just guessing when you're tuning or are you using test tones, sine sweeps, banded pink noise, etc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...