chose the speaker... now i need to choose the amp

wafsman
10+ year member

ohio
so i have decided on the speaker for my new setup, it will be an ssa xcon 18 in a sealed enclosure, but now i need to find an amp to run it. i have been doing a lot of research and have come to see what kind of input i can get from people who may have used this equipment before to steer me in the right direction. i have a limit of about 300 for the amp, i realize this will not get me the best amp to run the sub, but i am ok with this. i have composed a list of the amps within my price and power range, but am open to all suggestions and comments to help me decide on the right amp. thanks for all your help in advance.

BRZ1700.1D - Hifonics Brutus Series 1700W RMS 1-Channel Monoblock Super Class D Amplifier

ZRS-7500D - Cadence 3600 Watt 1 Ch Competition Amplifier

RUB1.1600D - Soundstream Monoblock 1600 Watt RMS Rubicon Series Subwoofer Amplifier

ONX1.1500D - MB Quart 1500W RMS, ONYX Series Class D Monoblock Amplifier

ASA1500.1Dx - PowerBass 1 Ch. 1500 Watt Auto Sound Amplifier

DSC1500.1D - MB Quart Monoblock 1500 Watt Discus Series Class D Amplifier

BAMF-40001D - Power Acoustik Monoblock 4000 Watt Class-D BAMF Series Amplifier

BXI 1610D - Hifonics 1600W 1 Channel Mono Block Amplifier

i'd narrow it down to the first 2 and the 6th out of the ones you listed.

The Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1D i'm actually planning on purchasing myself for my future SPL setup. And the Cadence is a great power/$ value and they are a smaller company known for good products so your money would be going to a good place... plus it apparently comes with a 2-year warranty.

The Discus amp always gets brought up in the forums here. It is claimed to do rated @ 1 ohm, if not more, making it one of the best, if not the best, value amps on the market.

Hope that helps

In order to help choose an amp, you need to provide alittle more info about the subwoofer.

How many subs?

What is the RMS power rating of the sub?

What is the coil impedance (single 4-Ohm, single 2-Ohm, DVC 4-Ohm, DVC 2-Ohms..)?

aq2200

audiopipe 1500

dsc1500 takes some work to get it to sound right but will run pretty cheap. too bad its not the old quart though. sundown will blow you away if you have the cash. If youre looking for on the cheaps then I suggest the AP, sounds good, does rated and cant get any cheaper, really solid amps. Surprised the crap outta me.

i have been consistently hearing a lot of people recommend the cadence, i like the audioque, but there is no 2 ohm power rating and its more than i am looking to spend

With a price limit of $300, I'd go with the AQ2200. It has a solid price/performance ratio and relatively high reliability. You can expect around 1000w RMS @ 2ohms.

You can pick up a used Sundown SAZ-1500D for around the $325 shipped mark. They're usually $275-300 + shipping; I sold one myself for $300 + shipping a few weeks ago that was in mint condition, so that should give you a feel for how much their market price is.

If you want cheaper, the DSC1500.1D. I have one, and I'm completely satisfied.

If you want even cheaper, the AP15001D.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.