Choosing System Pieces

n00bish
10+ year member

What is the proper way to match amps to componets to subs? What specs should you look for in amps,subs,head units?

Just trying to get a better understanding of how to properly choose componets of a system. I went to a local shop and all the salesman talked about was choosing componets that worked together as a complete system.

Are there any websites that I can check out? Or books that I should look into?

This is your web site. Read, ask, learn.

Car stereo shops will often try to sell you what they make the best profit margin on. They need to make a living.

Speaker selection is a matter of size and budget. And whether you intend to stay in the same mounting constraints of the stock vehicle, or are willing to modify to fit.

Component speaker sets range from $100 to over $6000. Not suprising that the first question we ask here is what your budget is. The folks on this forum are very sensitive to recommending the best for your buck.

The most important amp spec is power. You should ideally have at least as much power as your speakers are rated for. Be aware that cheapo amps (and speakers) are often rated with outrageous numbers that aren't even close to reality.

Stay away from low end Chinese junk - Pyramid, Legacy, and Pyle for instance. After that, ask questions here.

Thanks guys that helped a lot, I wouldnt want to spend over 500 for any one piece of my system except for the componets, i'm falling in love with the cdts everyone is raving about them so I think i'm gonna go with the 620, maybe the three way as it will have more midbass??

If I go with the 620 will the usx2100 suite me fine its rated at 150w/2 @ 2ohm

Thanks guys, I really thought I had a good understanding of stuff until I went to a local shop. Should I buy everything online and take it all in to have it installed at a shop? I dont want to mess up my car so I doubt if I will try to install it my self.

Thanks!

Budget for total system $3,000

Willing to have the kicks modified to have better sound.

I would like to keep the alt stock for now (factory warranty), willing to add a second battery in the trunk if need be.

I would like my system to sound good and hit as hard as possible.

The trunk can be completely dedicated to subs/amps.

Both of the amps mentioned above are good choices. For the most part people have "their" brands they stick with and speak highly of them. I think both US Acoustics and Hifonics make great amps for the money. You guys can't go wrong with them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Just don't buy RF //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.