cheap sound deadener??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Justin braaapp

CarAudio.com Elite
Just finished up my system today and it gets way louder than I could have imagined. Only one problem, my truck rattles so loud I think it takes away from the bass. just wondering what some cheep fixes for this are? I have heard about peal and seal does anybody have experience with that? I would rather not spend a ton of money on Murder mat or second skin but if I have to I will. And how many square feet should it take to cover the doors on an extended cab truck and the back wall? If anybody else has any suggestions please chime in. Thanks for the help everyone!

Just finished up my system today and it gets way louder than I could have imagined. Only one problem, my truck rattles so loud I think it takes away from the bass. just wondering what some cheep fixes for this are? I have heard about peal and seal does anybody have experience with that? I would rather not spend a ton of money on Murder mat or second skin but if I have to I will. And how many square feet should it take to cover the doors on an extended cab truck and the back wall? If anybody else has any suggestions please chime in. Thanks for the help everyone!
peel and seal not gonna help much. Go buy some closed cell foam(recommeded) or if you want it cheaper, get some foam floor underlayment for 26 bucks at home depot for 100 square feet roll and then Fill every gap you can see in your trunk until its jam packed and use a screwdriver if there's real small holes, just jam as much foam you can in every crevice possible. Get some weatherstrip foam tape and outline every part of your trunk lid that makes contact with the trunk and also add some of the foam tape behind the license plate. Should work a lot better at getting rid of rattles then peel and seal can ever dream of. It should run you less then 50$ for the whole job.

peel and seal not gonna help much. Go buy some closed cell foam(recommeded) or if you want it cheaper, get some foam floor underlayment for 26 bucks at home depot for 100 square feet roll and then Fill every gap you can see in your trunk until its jam packed and use a screwdriver if there's real small holes, just jam as much foam you can in every crevice possible. Get some weatherstrip foam tape and outline every part of your trunk lid that makes contact with the trunk and also add some of the foam tape behind the license plate. Should work a lot better at getting rid of rattles then peel and seal can ever dream of. It should run you less then 50$ for the whole job.
I have an extended cab truck. I think the main parts that rattle are the door panels and rear wall. Actually just looking into doing it right with some second skin damp pro ive heard thats the best you can get?

not really sure how to apply the deadener. Do I need to cover like the whole back wall and door panels or just sections of it?

I have an extended cab truck. I think the main parts that rattle are the door panels and rear wall. Actually just looking into doing it right with some second skin damp pro ive heard thats the best you can get?
Second Skin Damp Pro or Sound Deadener Showdown are probably the 2 leading deadener companies on the market.

not really sure how to apply the deadener. Do I need to cover like the whole back wall and door panels or just sections of it?
For best cost to performance ratio 25% coverage is whats needed on a flat panel. After that you get to the point of diminishing returns where you see/notice minimal results if any and the cost increases.

Second Skin Damp Pro or Sound Deadener Showdown are probably the 2 leading deadener companies on the market.
I kind of like second skin from what I hear about it. How do you apply the stuff? Do i cover the entire surface or just sections of it?

For best cost to performance ratio 25% coverage is whats needed on a flat panel. After that you get to the point of diminishing returns where you see/notice minimal results if any and the cost increases.
Alright thanks for the help I really appreciate it. One more thing how many square feet do you think is needed to cover my back wall and doors? i have an extended cab truck so the rear doors aren't very big at all

expensive but it works real well. You have to cover the inner layer of the door panel and then seal up all the gaps. you'll want some CCF in between the gaps to improve midbass performance also from your front speakers.

Try to pinpoint exactly where the rattle is comming from push against all surfaces and see what part you really need to work on, should save you some money getting rid of the rattles. You only need to do the whole wall if you want to squeeze every last bit of SPL out of it and lower the resonant frequency of the vehicle a little bit.

expensive but it works real well. You have to cover the inner layer of the door panel and then seal up all the gaps. you'll want some CCF in between the gaps to improve midbass performance also from your front speakers.
Try to pinpoint exactly where the rattle is comming from push against all surfaces and see what part you really need to work on, should save you some money getting rid of the rattles. You only need to do the whole wall if you want to squeeze every last bit of SPL out of it and lower the resonant frequency of the vehicle a little bit.
Sorry got a little confused, so i cover the entire inside of the door? and then just stick the door panel back on? And what is CCF? Im new at sound deadening haha

Im mainly concerned with how to deaden the door panel without wasting a bunch of material

Sorry got a little confused, so i cover the entire inside of the door? and then just stick the door panel back on? And what is CCF? Im new at sound deadening haha
Im mainly concerned with how to deaden the door panel without wasting a bunch of material
I normally just do the whole thing but if you want to conserve, feel around which parts are the most hollow by knocking on it and also have your system turned up and see which spots need most attention and do a 25% coverage like whitedragon said. CCF is closed cell foam.

here's an example of properly deadned door.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/579338-how-do-i-get-bass-out-my-door-speakers-2.html

and go down a few comments and you'll see why i prefer doing the whole door as to only part of it.

I normally just do the whole thing but if you want to conserve, feel around which parts are the most hollow by knocking on it and also have your system turned up and see which spots need most attention and do a 25% coverage like whitedragon said. CCF is closed cell foam.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/579338-how-do-i-get-bass-out-my-door-speakers-2.html

and go down a few comments and you'll see why i prefer doing the whole door as to only part of it.
Do i need to make thoss panels to put on the door like he did and im not sure what that black cover is for? So I should deaden the very inside part of the door and the part between the panel and the door correct? If that makes sense. Im really just trying to stop the rattling because its obnoxious. Sorry for the questions man I just wanna make sure I got it right before I waste money.

And where do I spray the CCF?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.