changing out subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

slick rick
10+ year member

OG
i have 2 pioneer 10's with an mtx amp all hooked up with the amp on the box. my ? is can i change out the subs and put in new 10's by myself. or should i have sum1 do it. i havent touched my box and subs because i didnt want to mess up the original install and i have no idea how they are hooked up to the amp. if its easy, can u explain to me how to do it?

Do you know what size box you have [CuFt] Is this box matched to your new subs? It has to be. Do you know how to use a Multi meter? Or do you still have the specs on the old subs and the AMP. We need to know how low the amps Ohm Stability is. Meaning stable to 2 ohms or 1ohm. Plus the Subs ohm rating to see what your working with now. If you didn't have these numbers you could use a multi meter to get them. Well not the AMP's. You would need to call around or look up the specs for that. Sometimes there writen on the heatsink. But after all of this... This is a VERY VERY easy thing to do. So post some number for the box, subs and AMP

ok, ill look it up. but do i have to have all the specs in order to do it. the amp is already hooked up to the subs and the box, and the subs that im going to put in, are the same subs as before. they are the cheaperst pioneer 10 available. the ones i have are all silver with like a design. but the ones im gonna get are the newer version that are silver and say impp on them. i just wanted to have circuit city reinstall my sub box with the amp on it and subs in the box in my new car, then buy the subs sumwhere else, and hook up the new subs so they pound like new.

well the thing is you need to know what ohm rating you amp can handle. Yea the speakers might be the same model or whatever but if it a different ohm rating you could burn the amp up. The new speaker model may have a choice of dual voice coil or singal, 2,4,8,12 ohm. I don't know what impp come in. With out knowing anything about your AMP i would say don't go below 2ohm stereo/4ohm mono as this is the norm these days. That means 2 ohm svc subs or 4 ohm DVC subs

ok, the pioneer subs i am going to get is the model #ts-w254c

its rated at rms 250, peak 500watts. its a 4 ohm sub. now i found my amp manual

its the mtx thunder 102:

rms: 25x2 @ 4 ohm

50x2@ 2 ohm

100 bridged @4 ohm

peak 65x2 at 4ohm

125x2 @ 2 ohm

250bridged @ 4 ohm

so whats the best way to hook this up, bridged, 2 ohm 2 channel?

Are they single voice coil? Your amp is small and for that you want to use all the power the AMP can give you. That would be in bridged mode. 100RMS-250max@ 4ohm. 1 problem, if they are single coil then you could only hook 1 sub in bridged mode. If they are dual then your good. The only way you can hook SINGLE coil subs that are 4ohms is 4 ohm stereo. 25RMS-65 @ 4ohm. With 65w max I see why you want to change the set up. So plain stereo is the only way to wire BOTH of them

they are svc. but i can buy the dvc's but i can get the sv'c for 80 bucks total. so is it worth buying the dvc's, cuz im gonna eventully upgrade it. i just have to keep this system now but im gonna change out the subs. so assuming i get svc's, how shuld i hook it up, i want it to never blw the amp, and i know the amp cant blow the subs. so shuld i bridge it, and what shuld the gains be set at?

if you get SVC you have to hook it in plain stereo. one speaker to one channel the second to the other channel. If you got DVC you could hook it in bridged mode 4ohm. For gains set them at 1/2-3/4. There is a proper way but you need a multi meter ,test tones, and a radio shack selfpowered test speaker.

if it's a plain sealed box just unscrew the sub remove the wire. Get your new one connect the wire making note of which is positive then screw down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.