Center channel?

Participant count
  • Participant list

maylar
10+ year member

Electrical Weenie
Connecticut
I notice a lot of cars come with a center channel speaker, usually high in the dash near the windshield. My Buick came with one and the only positive thing I can say is that the sound stage was really high. But it kills stereo separation and any chance of imaging. So why do factory systems do this?

Just curious..

My mother's Cadillac has a center channel in the dash and I think the imaging is pretty decent for a factory sound system. Center channel speakers require some processing to sound right, and it can't be just summing L+R. Maybe your Buick just sums L+R.

If its processed correctly, it helps imaging. You should still have proper left amd right speakers that handle far left and right images. If the center speaker is playing everything and u have no stereo separation, someone is doing it wrong.

1. Cut wires going to center speaker

2. Enjoy your new sound

That's what I did on my Infinity system in my Chrysler. Sure it's a decent enough stock system in a domestic car.. but that center speaker was sure trash.

My mother's Cadillac has a center channel in the dash and I think the imaging is pretty decent for a factory sound system. Center channel speakers require some processing to sound right, and it can't be just summing L+R. Maybe your Buick just sums L+R.
Fair enough. What sort of processing would be required? My center speaker is currently disconnected but I'm considering adding it back in with an attenuated L+R off the HU outputs. I don't know what to expect, but it's easy enough to experiment with.

This isn't something I've used or even feel is necessary, but the better center channel implementations use DSP to get only the information that a center speaker should have. This is only music that's common to both the left and right speakers. BMW does a center channel with Logic7, Dolby Pro Logic can do it(Alpine H700, H701, H800 processors), miniDSP is supposed to be able to do it with a plugin, and the JBL MS-8 does a center channel with signal steering adjusted multiple times a second.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.