Car vs Home wire??

Justin braaapp

CarAudio.com Elite
Well i got some focal components i have been wanting and I need wire to install them. Im pretty impatient and don't really want to order any wires and wait around for them. I found some at home depot but I'm not really sure if its the same thing as car audio wire so if anybody could chime in and help explain the differences i would appreciate it. Thanks guys and merry christmas!

Here is what i was looking at:

GE 100 ft. 14-Gauge Speaker wire - clear style-87649 at The Home Depot

The difference is quality.

Strand count, tinned copper, etc

However, you can find high quality home wire as well. Just not at home depot....

Also, home wire usually isn't "rated" for 12v... I don't know if that would present an audible difference.

The difference is quality. Strand count, tinned copper, etc

However, you can find high quality home wire as well. Just not at home depot....

Also, home wire usually isn't "rated" for 12v... I don't know if that would present an audible difference.
alright for sure there are a few shops by me I guess I will have to go check that out. That stuff from home depot is just cheap lol

wires used in a car should be very abrasive resistant whether physical or chemical, and able to withstand constant summer/winter cycles, particularly with power/ground wire.

Speaker wire.....ehh.........many will do just fine.

As a Master Electrician I would say that the Home Depot wire that you linked to will work just fine. You need to realize the manufacturers for wire used in any occupied space beit home, office whatever has a little thing called a UL listing. That states that the wire is suitable for a specific application which will be listed on the wire itself. I would love to see the day when car audio wire has to be made in te confines of the NEC. As far as that goes I am currently using 14 awg stranded THHN wire to my tweeters after twisting them together myself just because I had it on hand and need it. Now I will say I would kill some days to bee able to use audio style wire when tyeing in 1200 amp disconnects with 3 sets of 600 MCM copper with only 100 strands maybe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.