Car Tips?

hdj20
10+ year member

F*CK SONY
wisconsin
Alright well I just got a 97 Grand Prix SE and it has a bit of rust on the bottom trim both sides, what would be the best way to go about getting that cleaned up? Also this is my first car does anyone know what would be best for keeping this car working I want it to last me for a while at least.

Advice.... Stay on top of things. Don't wait for stuff to go wrong and fix it. Preventative maintenance will keep you on the road.

For the rust, a body shop could tell you what you are looking at to remedy that.

press on the rust to see if it is solid or if it kind of cracks or moves in when you press on it. if it cracks at all or moves in then it could cost alot more and have a better chance of coming back later.

There's alot of things people don't bother with the whole time they own a vehicle and especially not with a 10 year old one they're about to sell that you should look into. What kind of miles you got? Was the transmission fluid/filter ever changed and if so what's the interval? Timing chain or timing belt? When was it changed last? Belts should be changed every 60K. Chains, you're probably good to 100-120K. Depending on the vehicle, this isn't one of those things where you can just hold off spending the money until it breaks. Look over any rubber hoses in the engine. That stuff rots away over the years and will sprout leaks and deteriorate if not looked after.

Is it the original battery? Was the coolant ever flushed?

As for the rust, surface rust can be sanded off and repainted if it hasn't worked its way all the way through. If it's pretty deep into the metal or all the way through the panel panel replacement or patching may be necessary depending on how far it's spread. It's something a good bodyshop guy can give you better info on by taking a look.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.