Car Sound system noobie question

Participant count
  • Participant list

bulatz

CarAudio.com Newbie
So i got some questions ive had a PL1-212 fosgate subwoofer it is (2) 8 ohm 300 watts rms/600 peak it says. i have it paired with a fosgate punch p200.2 amp.. some specs on it are
2-channel car amp
50 watts rms x at 4 ohms
200 watts rms x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms

based on what ive been reading, this amp is severely underpowered for my sub, is that correct? for along time i had a speaker i think blow out, on certain songs it makes alot of crackling i just ignored it but now i noticed my sub the bass isnt even vibrating anymore really. from what i read speaker blowouts can be caused by underpowered amps? if im correct would it be best if i get a new amp and possibly new speakers? also if i replace the amp do i have to pretty much run new wires through my car or can i use the existing ones which are newish like 2-3 years old. i ask cause i feel like my local shop that installed it i just fully trusted them to do whatever and make it work and not sure if they cut corners or didn't provide me important details. thanks for any advice

Yes, you can overdrive an amp and cause it to clip, continued clipped output to a speaker can damage or ruin it too. First, isolate the issue. Test the speaker somewhere else (Home/garage stereo or someone else car), and test the amp. Once you know which is the issue, you can go from there as all or none of that may apply.

Last edited:
thanks for any advice
According to the specifications, that sub/amp combo is fine. The sub wired in parallel gives you 4 Ohms and 300 watts RMS. The amplifier in bridged mode gives you 200 watts RMS at 4 Ohms. As long as you set your gain to 200 watts, you will be fine. You do not have to give the sub 300 watts, otherwise we would have alot of burned out equipment when listening at low volumes.
As stated above, do some testing to find if the crackling is coming from the sub or the amp. It can be something as simple as a dustcap coming unglued or tinsel lead slap. Do a physical examination of the sub first, since it is the easiest step.

A DMM is very useful to check your Ohm load on the coil/coil of the sub, and can be used on the amp 12v to check for voltage ect. A very handy tool to have period, that isnt very expensive and has several uses, on just about any electrical , Home use as well.
You could have a bad sub?? There are many out there to choose from that will work on the amplifier you have if it also test out just fine and work on your supply for it. you might be able to locate a nice Class D for sub duty by itself that will be pretty efficient too.

thats good to hear that sub/amp is good pair, well one of the front speakers on right side, im guessing it blew out because its the one that makes the crackling noises always. i read on google a bad speaker can make a subwoofer possibly not work due to the connection or fuse whatever to mess with it? im sure the sub/amp still works but i just wanted an opinion if i replace the one speaker it should hopefully fix my sub also? probably wont know until i try type thing?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...