Car Door grill questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

DFW40
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Have any of you ever cut out your plastic factory grills and used aftermarket ones in hopes of more sound getting through and less internal sound reflections? On my Ford Taurus 2012 grills it looks like there is more plastic than there are holes and I cannot help but think that this reduces sound escaping especially the higher frequencies. If you have done this show some pics etc.

Sticking a grill on that might look funky,but,if somehow the grill wasn't too thick and fit kinda flush...that might not be too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the factory installed a guide around the speaker to seal it up against the grille that's the best you can have without hacking up the panel. As for the rest of the door, you can make it act like a better speaker enclosure, mainly improving the bass response.

Are there other speakers up front, like separate tweeters?

I have some focal components mids in the doors and tweets up high in the a pillars. I have deadened the doors and all that I was just curious if anyone had replaced the factory grills or cut them out and had any positive results in doing so.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.