Car Audio shop fried my amp?

So what exactly happened to your shuriken? Why didnt you get your batt back if thats what you brought in? And why did they switch them?
I never physically had the shuriken. I ordered it through them, but they installed a Kinetik... Problem started when he tried to charge me same $300 for a $150 battery...

The only person who can possibly say why that amp fried is a good repair person, and that's only possibly once they open it up and see what precisely happened.
By all accounts that 2500.1 is a solid amp and you don't hear many stories about them blowing up. They should be 2 ohm stable and should have some decent protection circuitry. Under fusing is a good move on the part of the installers, and IMO 250A fuse is probably too much still if you're only running 4 ohm.

I think your install sounds half-*** but that's not necessarily what caused your amp to fail. Who sold you the amp? How old was it? How much abuse did it have before you owned it? Where was it mounted (before you owned it and now)? Was it ever repaired? if so, then by whom?

This is why a lot of shops won't install anything they don't sell you. Not saying this is the case for you, but a potential scenario. Kid blows and amp and some friend who "repairs amps" just replaces all the burnt looking parts, flips it on eBay or Craigslist. Now you buy the amp, take it to a shop to install, then it blows up after playing a few songs. Who looks like the bad guy now?
Yea, I've owned the amp for years. It fried once, and I had it fixed. Knew eventually it would fry again, but not this quick lol. Also, I believe mine is 1 ohm

Currently have a Hifonics BRX2400.1 on them, and don't sound too shabby. Got from my buddy who owns the planet audio 4000.1, but I think system sounds better and just as good with the BRX, as it did with the Kicker ZX2500.1

This is the 2cnd amp I have put to these subs, that cost under $300, and can't tell much difference from Kicker? He said he would sell me the BRX for $200, and leaning towards it, and buying another to strap them...

Voltage never dropped below 14...
Callin BS right there. No stock alt I've ever heard of is capable of powering a true 2500w amp. You either had the gains low enough that you weren't actually drawing 2500w or your voltmeter is junk. No matter what amp/wiring combo you use, if you try to draw more current than your alt can supply you will get voltage drop, and with voltage drop comes the possibility of burning up your amplifier. Car audio 101.

2500w @ 14V is 178A and that's assuming your amplifier is 100% efficient (which it's not) and also not accounting for the current the rest of your car's electronics need.

Callin BS right there. No stock alt I've ever heard of is capable of powering a true 2500w amp. You either had the gains low enough that you weren't actually drawing 2500w or your voltmeter is junk. No matter what amp/wiring combo you use, if you try to draw more current than your alt can supply you will get voltage drop, and with voltage drop comes the possibility of burning up your amplifier. Car audio 101.
2500w @ 14V is 178A and that's assuming your amplifier is 100% efficient (which it's not) and also not accounting for the current the rest of your car's electronics need.
Hold your horses Cowboy, no need for the language1 You may be right amigo! LOL. Don't have an aneurysm LOL! I was gauging it off of the car's dash LOL. I didn't use a meter. Geesh!

Hold your horses Cowboy, no need for the language1 You may be right amigo! LOL. Don't have an aneurysm LOL! I was gauging it off of the car's dash LOL. I didn't use a meter. Geesh!
Riiiight, if you think my langauge is bad, stay out of the dome.

Anyway, what I was getting at was it wasn't the shop's fault you blew your amp. Maybe they should have warned you that your electrical is not up to par but if you keep throwing large amplifiers in on your stock electrical you're going to have a nice set of paper weights pretty soon.

For shits & giggles, what kind of systems are hitting in the 150's, on 2700 watts or less???
I highly doubt you!!

And the fact that you hooked up your buddies amp to your current wiring that you say blew your amp shows just how bright you are.

I highly doubt you!!And the fact that you hooked up your buddies amp to your current wiring that you say blew your amp shows just how bright you are.
Totally hit a 153.3 with my current set up. Took 1st place at a local event, but I'm no competitor lol, I just did it to see if I could win. Mainly peer pressure. I have the guys number who owns the shop I won at, and he did nothing for my system so he has no reason to lie amigo!

I highly doubt you!!And the fact that you hooked up your buddies amp to your current wiring that you say blew your amp shows just how bright you are.
I explained to him what happened, and he blamed the amp being fried before. He actually hooked it up to my subs, and said keep it til I find another one. If it did burn up again, would be on him, but he's driving a new Mercedes, so I doubt it makes a difference to him.

Riiiight, if you think my langauge is bad, stay out of the dome.
Anyway, what I was getting at was it wasn't the shop's fault you blew your amp. Maybe they should have warned you that your electrical is not up to par but if you keep throwing large amplifiers in on your stock electrical you're going to have a nice set of paper weights pretty soon.
Good advice indeed, but my friend doesn't care about a $250 amp. Honestly, neither am I. I ran the same set-up (with all 1/0) and it pounded for years. Talking **** near wide open for an hour at a time on some drives, and it hit a 153 with the meter/mic at the windshield

Good advice indeed, but my friend doesn't care about a $250 amp. Honestly, neither am I. I ran the same set-up (with all 1/0) and it pounded for years. Talking **** near wide open for an hour at a time on some drives, and it hit a 153 with the meter/mic at the windshield
Yeah as long as we're on the subject I'm also skeptical someone who doesn't know how to install a new battery and some 1/0 hit 153dB. Just sayin.

Yeah as long as we're on the subject I'm also skeptical someone who doesn't know how to install a new battery and some 1/0 hit 153dB. Just sayin.
Didn't realize hitting a 153.3 meant knowing how to build an amp from soda cans and a circuit board, lol. Where is the logic in your theory hater? I thought as long as you had cold hard cash, you can buy whatever you wanted, and if it just so happens to preform, even better... lol. seriously... where's the logic?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.