Car Audio in home

nickskates4lyfe

this is my first post and i must say i am quite pleased with this forum, yet im not sure where to post this...but here goes, i have a small bass package, 10in sub 300 watt amp. i want ot hook these up to my home stereo for a little extra kick, ive read somewhere i could take the power supply from a computer and just run the 12v wires to the amp and then set it up accordingly, im not sure if this is true and i dont want to damage anything trying it so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

well i really dont want to risk it but it is never gonna be used for anything so idk and thanks i have no idea, im a computer tech who loves his sound, yet i kno nothing about it lol

i was just looking through the gallery and saw one running off a battery eith a charger, yet i know that would give me a slight humming sound as it charges...

below is the specs for a computer power supply link here to actual product

COOLMAX V-500 ATX 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, FCC, TUV - Retail

Below is the rated out put:

Output +3.3V@30A,+5V@45A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@16A,-12V@1A,+5 VSB@2.5

If you look at the output on either of the two 12volt rails you can see that it is only 16 and 18. So if you were use a computer power supply then you would only have 16 or 18 amps to power a Car audio amp well you would if those 16 or 18 were DC too bad they are AC. Even if they were 16 or 18 amps, that is nothing in car audio

The power rails on a computer power supply are DC. All of them. Notice that power supplies meant to run in a car or off a 12V battery are DC-DC supplies.
Can you provide a link to a site/article that states this? I believe you but I want to learn more about PSUs. If you don't have a link then nvm I will google for one, just thought I might save me some time in looking for a good site/article.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif Thats crazy that I picked out the exact power supply that you have, I just chose the first one I seen on newegg.com

ive done it, and i dont recommend it. powersupplies for PCs only do like 12a @ 12v and arent very stable when drawing all that current.

so go invest in a small AC->DC transformer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IOTA-DLS-Power-Supply-Converter-Battery-Charger-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50073QQitemZ320098391448QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/Duracomm-DLS-45-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ170095460500QQcategoryZ25300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

those DLS power supplies work well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.