Car Audio Explanation

DTR4iN91

I need some help! I'm 17 and my first car is a 2001 Honda Civic. I wanna make it thump, but I'm on a budget and I don't know anything about car audio. Can anyone explain to me amplifiers and how to make sure it won't blow out my speaker/sub-woofer combination? I appreciate any help.

1st: You came to the right place

2nd: You neglected to use the search button

My advice is just go to Wal Mart and tell them you wanna 'thump'. I think they'll hook you up your whip yO

since it is your first car, I assume it would also be your first system. Pretty much anything you get will "thump". I would say go to the classifieds and look around for something cheap. Most of the time people don't sell junk on here so that would be a good place to start without getting ****** into the whole "4000 watt amplifier" that puts out like 10% of that if your lucky

Now if your like me and go through a few dozen cars/systems a year than it gets REALLY hard to be satisfied!

to be honest, with your first system. start small. and eventually maybe 6 weeks, or maybe 6 months down the road you wont be satisfied and you will upgrade. and from there on it endless upgrading.

i would personally look into an alpine type r of 1000 watts. when you start there, its decently sized. will definately give you some "thump" and is realatively cheap.

with 1000 watts, your not gonna have to worry about electrical upgrades (even tho the big 3 would be great, but thats a different discussion and theres a sticky on it so search)

but look into an alpine type r, i would get a one of them in a 12", and run it off a hifonics bxi 1210d

get a 4 guage amp kit off ebay, personally i would piece it together through knukonceptz as they are very reasonable

check out http://www.sonicelectronix.com they usually have good prices and shipping is pretty fast.

i think that would be a great starting point, and i would buy a prefabricated box first to start you out, then when you wanna upgrade. the best upgrade you can do it build a box to specs, and then the sub, then the amp.

search around, and utilize the search feature in the toolbar towards the top of the page.

this site has endless information and some will be way over your head but you will get there and take your time and save your cash.

there may also be someone on here around your area who may be willing to help with your install or steering you in the direction that you need to go.

good advice, also what sort of budget are you looking at?

you should really do some searching around before you go buying anything, the sony explodes and the capacitors being recommended are just peopple pulling your leg, both are highly shunned on this site.

try a search for budget system or somewhere along these lines, almost daily somoeone signs up and askes same question

i want bass for cheap!

want some subs but im on a budget...

hope you have good luck finding what your looking for, but it is true about wanting to upgrade its addicting... be warned haha

to be honest, with your first system. start small. and eventually maybe 6 weeks, or maybe 6 months down the road you wont be satisfied and you will upgrade. and from there on it endless upgrading.
i would personally look into an alpine type r of 1000 watts. when you start there, its decently sized. will definately give you some "thump" and is realatively cheap.

with 1000 watts, your not gonna have to worry about electrical upgrades (even tho the big 3 would be great, but thats a different discussion and theres a sticky on it so search)

but look into an alpine type r, i would get a one of them in a 12", and run it off a hifonics bxi 1210d

get a 4 guage amp kit off ebay, personally i would piece it together through knukonceptz as they are very reasonable

check out http://www.sonicelectronix.com they usually have good prices and shipping is pretty fast.

i think that would be a great starting point, and i would buy a prefabricated box first to start you out, then when you wanna upgrade. the best upgrade you can do it build a box to specs, and then the sub, then the amp.

search around, and utilize the search feature in the toolbar towards the top of the page.

this site has endless information and some will be way over your head but you will get there and take your time and save your cash.

there may also be someone on here around your area who may be willing to help with your install or steering you in the direction that you need to go.

Dual, Boss, Sony, avoid them. Big no no's. The receiver is the biggest difference in how everything sounds. It's a HUGE difference. Not to mention, they are prone to breaking, especially the motorized crap from them.

For the head unit (receiver), go with a Pioneer, a Kenwood, or an Alpine. I prefer the Alpine's myself, but that's just user preference, those are the better brands to go with.

Speakers, my recommendation is to the Image Dynamics, from woofersetc.com, they are a great set of component speakers that can be had for around $180, and will blow away any stock setup, or most other speakers around that price. A 100 watts RMS to them will make them sing. There's quite a few options for amplifiers to power those, just a clean two channel, or a four channel that can be bridged, will work great.

Speakers.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6201/CTX65CS--Image-Dynamics-65"-Component-Speaker-System.htm

Possible amplifier recommendations - I ranked them down in order of the quality, though the last two are probably pretty close. The quality of it is essentially how clean the power will be, and how good the sound will be coming out of the amplifier. It won't sound horrible with a lower grade amp, but it will definitely sound better with a good one. But, comes with a price tag.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6274/TXi4008-Hifonics-400Watt-A-BClass-2Channel-Amplifier.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p3956/ZX2004--Kicker-4-Ch-200-Watt-ZX-Series-Amplifier.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6856/FD-2200--ARC-Audio-2-Channel-370-Watt-Amplifier.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p181/D3-4002--Diamond-Audio-2-Ch-400-Watt-Amplifier.htm

Assuming a HU for $150, amp for $100-200, speakers for $200, that puts you at $500. And trust me when I say that it will be much better than another to do with boss.

If you add in wiring, it'll be another $30-50, depending on the wiring. If you plan for a sub later it would benefit to get the wiring for it now.

If your budget is $1000, then you can go on and get a decent sub system for another $300-400, too. As said earlier, an Alpine Type R is a good starter, two of them off a hifonics 1210 will be pretty nice. That will be loud, but there's other options depending on how good of a sound you want.

basically, dont skimp out on your reciever. it is the brains of your system. you could have the best setup out there but a bad reciever will only make it mediocre

on your budget look at an alpine 9886. great unit and can be had for around 200$

Before you hook anything up, make sure you lick both terminals of your battery at the same time. It loosens the battery up so it gives more current. Or you can lick your fingers then touch both terminals. Whatever you prefer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.