Caps ?????????????

Plater
10+ year member

Ok everyone on hear thinks that a cap will reduce the load on and electrical system.

Why is this true?? Wait it isn't

A cap stores charge where does this charge come from the battery and ultimately the alternator.

If a big bass hit occurs then the charge from the cap is drawn but then the cap tries to get this charge back where does it come from the battery/alternator. Therefore the same load is on the electrical system.

A cap doesn't create magical charge it has to come from somewhere. If it did maybe perpetual motion, time travel and stopping the earth from rotating are also possible.

Really a cap is used to give the amp that little extra "juice" during a bass hit because they act faster then the battery for providing charge fast. But the cap DOESN'T help the electrical system in fact it is just another load on it.

the only time a cap is theoretically beneficial, is when installed in a PROPERLY FUNCTIONING (read: supplying enough power) electrical system...

Caps provide electricity faster than the alternator can produce it, for those really strong/long bass hits where the alternator can not quite keep up with the INITIAL strain the hard working amp puts on it...

for example, if you are running a big amp, and your lights dim very slightly at eh beginning and ONLY the beginning of a bass note, a cap may help you...

if your lights dim otherwise, or for longer, a cap will lilely put more of a strain on your system...

Originally posted by Plater Ok everyone on hear thinks that a cap will reduce the load on and electrical system.

Why is this true?? Wait it isn't

A cap stores charge where does this charge come from the battery and ultimately the alternator.

If a big bass hit occurs then the charge from the cap is drawn but then the cap tries to get this charge back where does it come from the battery/alternator. Therefore the same load is on the electrical system.

A cap doesn't create magical charge it has to come from somewhere. If it did maybe perpetual motion, time travel and stopping the earth from rotating are also possible.

Really a cap is used to give the amp that little extra "juice" during a bass hit because they act faster then the battery for providing charge fast. But the cap DOESN'T help the electrical system in fact it is just another load on it.
Exactly. People do not realize that when you add another piece into the pathway it cannot possibly lighten the load. Oh well. I've gotten sick and tired of attempting to explain this to people, including installers. Let them think what they want, and let them buy new Alternators every 5 months.

then what would lighten your load on your alternator??? i will probably be running a jbl 1200.1 and a car alarm on a 98 eclipse gs

well, eitehr a stronger alt. or a second battery...

dont worry about the alarm affecting it... keep in mind, its not on when your stereo is...

you should be pretty ok with that set up (no other amps?) if not, try a bigger alt. or a cap might help if you ahve the symptoms i described above.

make sure you ahve nice big wire running to your amp (4 gauge for taht amp)

Originally posted by Wonderbread well, eitehr a stronger alt. or a second battery...

dont worry about the alarm affecting it... keep in mind, its not on when your stereo is...

you should be pretty ok with that set up (no other amps?) if not, try a bigger alt. or a cap might help if you ahve the symptoms i described above.

make sure you ahve nice big wire running to your amp (4 gauge for taht amp)
I thought we've already established that when you add a piece to the pathway it cannot lighten the load. a second battery is just more the alternator has to charge..thus increasing the strain.

unless its done properly...

using an isolator, which will act as a slow charger, the deep cycle battery will always ahve power...

they hold power and are constatnly being filled, they are similar to a cap but will actually likely put less of a strain on the alt. as the do not need to be recharged as often..

a second battery witha n isolator (as far as the battery, try the Yellow Tops) will provide you the pwoer you need...

also remeber, you dont need to rely totally on your alternator for your second battery..

they can be removed and charged overnight...

like every week or something...

think about that...

It is good to see people agreeing with me. If this post stops a few people from posting the question my lights dim so will a cap help. That will be good, it seems that type of question is asked every week.

If anyone has any questions on where a cap can be used and if it is really needed they should post them here.

Keep in mind that batteries have a sound quality use as well, as they are used to filter out the ripple the alternator produces. Without a fully charged battery, and subsequent fully functional electrical system, you are asking for more noise to enter your system. If your alternator is under such a load that it cannot charge your battery at the same time as playing your system, not only will you be searching for a new alternator soon enough, but your system will not sound as good as it could.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.