capacitor question

Participant count
  • Participant list

crzybob77
10+ year member

I have a 1/2 farad capacitor hooked up to my USX 800D amp. Right now the amp has a 4 ohm load on it, so it puts out 400 watts. But, soon i will be getting new subs and the amp will be wired to have a 2 ohm load on it. So, then it will be putting out 600 watts. I know that 1/2 farad caps are recommended for up to 500 watt systems. So, the 1/2 farad is perfect for my system now. But, when i rewire the amp with a 2 ohm load and it puts out 600 watts RMS, does that mean that i will need a 1 farad cap, or will the 1/2 farad still do. It might not be up recommended performance, but will it even still work and help my amp? Thanks.

my keys is right. It should be ok. Although if you find that you have headlights dimming then you may want to move up or buy another 1/2 farad cap and wire it in with the one you've got. Although, I'd get the full farad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.