Cant power my Jl 1000/1!!! WTF

medeiro
10+ year member

NY
Firstly my set up.

2009 BMW 335i iDrive w/o logic 7

170-180 Amp Alternator

JL Slash 1000/1

JL W7 13.5" wired to 3ohms in a ported 3CFT enclosure.

Stock Battery With a secondary Stinger SPV 35 battery connected to the positive of the original battery and grounded to the frame of the car.

4Gauge power and ground wires all around.

Now i have two issues;

My car has long cranks around 3 to 5 seconds when i start the car (this is why i addded the stinger).

When i pump the volume above say 70% the bass cuts out every 2 seconds and stays off for around 2 seconds at a time. How can i power this amp.

These are suggestions i have gotten;

Big 3 upgrade

Deep cycle main battery preferaly a dry cell Optima Yellow Top

Isolate the batteries with a charging kit that will enable my alt to charge each battery seperatly.

Shorten up the power cable. (Its currently 5 feet, i could shorten it to 2.5 feet since the battery is in the trunk)

What do you guys think, this is getting to me i need a fix...soon.

Thanks

where are your gains set?

possible you are clipping the amp so much that its turning it self off

also check your head unit settings bass/treble

The starting thing shouldnt be an issue if you are running your setup with the car on

If you are running it with the car off for more than 5 min then that could be your problem

where are your gains set?
possible you are clipping the amp so much that its turning it self off

also check your head unit settings bass/treble

The starting thing shouldnt be an issue if you are running your setup with the car on

If you are running it with the car off for more than 5 min then that could be your problem
This. It can be a result of you setting the gains too high, or not having the electrical to back it up. Turn the gain down and see what happens.

dont think it matters. shouldnt it be the same from 1.5-4ohm?
Im just saying i wired the sub at 3ohms. Just trying to give as much info. I just bough a voltmeter, when i get home im going to set the gains.

I forgot to menntion the AMP is droping below 11v during the cutoffs, its definitly a power issue.

Your electrical is stout enough for that amp.
I'm going to go with gain too high or check all your wiring connections.
Gain too high or our beloved JL's amps put out nothing but shitty, dirty power. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Your electrical is stout enough for that amp.
I'm going to go with gain too high or check all your wiring connections.
Im going to shorten up my power and grounds and set the gain properly tonight with the volt meter.

i'm assuming that since you didnt list a head unit, that you are running the stock one.

its possible that when you distort the factory stereo that it backs off the signal output to avoid blowing the speakers. depending on the signal setup to your amplifier, it may be backing off the signal so much that the amp doesnt see enough input voltage to stay on.

are you using the signal sensing function?

i am not 100% sure on signal issue though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.