Can't figure wiring for new head unit 2002 ford ranger!

Dalehimself

Hey all,

Much help appreciated. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger with a new dual head unit. I am trying to install it and can't figure it out. I have all the speakers correctly Wired, but can't figure out the power and what not. There are extra wires and I have no idea what they go to or what they plug into. Below are some pictures to help Understand what I mean. Any help would be great thank you.

The three wires red yellow and blue are coming from new head unit

the harness should also have yellow and red wires. do you have a wiring diagram that came with the harness?

you did get a harness that connects to your stock wiring right?

I believe it's these two

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Light Green

Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black

one's to connect the head unit to the battery the other's to connect it to the ignition.

your wiring looks kinda sketchy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I put the light green one on the yellow and then the yellow/black to the red and still nothing. The blue one from the new unit still doesn't have anything to it. Not sure what the blue goes to

this is on your trucks harness.

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Light Green ( yellow )

Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black ( red )

blue wire is for a remote amp turn on.

if you dont have an amp tape the end .

seriously, I think you need your hands beat with a hammer.

You can go to any walmart in America and buy a adapter for $10 that would connect your radio to your factory connector.

What an idiot!

You must be related to John Kuthe

seriously, I think you need your hands beat with a hammer.
You can go to any walmart in America and buy a adapter for $10 that would connect your radio to your factory connector.

What an idiot!

You must be related to John Kuthe
Really dude?! He did ask for help and knows nothing...the least you could do is help him out. Save the BS for JK posts. Or don't help at all.

Dunno wtf is wrong with people last few days must be that time of the month for ya'll.

OP, both red/yellow wire go together which turns on the HU (radio) and of course the black wire is ground. Ground that wire 1st before connecting the red/yellow wire. The other colored wiring is for your speakers.

You can get the head unit to turn on by combining red and yellow out of the new radio you will not have proper function. The red wire should be switched ignition so that the head unit turns off when the car is off and doesn't drain the battery. The yellow wire must go to a constant power source so it remembers radio stations and settings. Because you cut the harness it's likely you also blew the fuse associated with either or both of those two wires. You need a multimeter to verify voltage is present on the wires you suspect to be ignition and Battery.

Rich V.

You need a test light.

Find the wire that has power all the time, connect the yellow wire to it

Find the wire that has power only when the car is on, connect the red wire to it

connect the black wire to a metal source on the car.

Blue wire is not needed as you are not running an amp and a 02 Ranger does not have a power antenna.

In the future DO NOT cut the factory connector off, it is 100% the wrong way of doing things.

Thanks for the help. I checked fuses and all good. I attached the battery and ignition ones up and still nothing. I have these remaking blue/red, 2 black/greens, and red/black remaining and don't know if those have anything to do with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.