Can't access rubber door boot for running new speaking wire. 2003 xterra.

Participant count
  • Participant list

shakas

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm wiring up a new audio system for the first time...amp, sub, speakers, head unit, reverse cam...I've got everything done except running new 14 gauge speaker wire from the front door speakers into the car to the amp.From what I see online people either pop off the rubber door boot where it connects to the car and fish wire through that way...or they slide a temporary tube through the opening of the rubber boot inside the car and then slide speaker wire through the temp tube.The problem im coming up against with the 2003 Xterra is that there is no access either way on this car. You can't pop the rubber boot out and you can't access any point of entry to it from the inside. 1) there are way too many things like the foot E-brake mechanism and other stuff the I wouldn't try to remove and reinstall in the way...to get access from the inside. No ones arms/hands, no matter how small or how flexible could get anywhere near it. 2) The rubber seal from the outside does not pop out, i can't pry it back a bit, there is no room to work it very much from different angles....but even when I start to pry it back a bit, there is just more rubber not an opening. and from what little i can see of it when it goes inside the car, it's just more rubber tubing that can't be reached. It's not an opening where it hits the inside of the metal frame of the car like it is on other cars i've seen.one this that is possible, is that i can pry the rubber boot away from the body of the car slightly enough to see light shine through...i could slide wire through that opening and run it OUTSIDE the boot, along the side of it...but it would be pinched incredibly tight against the hole in the body between the tightness of the rubber boot.other ideas are finding the factory wires inside the front of car somewhere, and butt connecting my new wire to them there and then running it to the amp. But i'm not sure where to find the factory speaker wires in the cab. I know they must be leading to behind the stereo somewhere...but there's so much wrapped up bundles of wires everywhere i can't tell.or i was wondering if i could just wire the front L and R speakers from the radio to car harness like you would if you didn't have an amp. and then just wire my rear speakers and sub directly to the amp. I did buy a 5 channel amp specifically to wire all 5 speakers to it. But if i cant do anything else...can anyone help me here? thanks

Use speedwire it has the ability to run all 4 speaker wires through the stock harness behind the dash and iirc it also has remote turn on wire built in as well. Used it on my Explorer and worked great instead of drilling into a door. Speaker wire doesn't have to be 14 gauge, the stock wire was 16 or 18 gauge icr which in my explorer and on a run like that 18 gauge like what speedwire uses will hold up just fine to around 80 watts which mine is running at around 65. You can never go wrong going bigger but sometimes something like speedwire from stinger works just as well, is cheaper and will do the job just fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stinger-SGW9920-9-Conductor-Speedwire-20-Foot-Roll-Black/142677571780?hash=item21383ef8c4:g:kjAAAOSw2j9bM7lR

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.