Speakers worked, installed new head unit, now they don't

ProFly

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 21, 2019
This isn't my first time working with car audio, so I feel like I somewhat know what I'm doing. My friend wanted to do it the cheap way without a wiring adapter so I spliced the stock speaker wires to the head unit. I checked with a multimeter that there is power going through the wires, but it doesn't make it to the speakers. I did some troubleshooting and when I hook a speaker straight to the wires coming out of the head unit, it plays perfectly. It's almost like something is wrong with the stock speaker wires, but that also doesn't add up because everything worked perfectly the day before on the stock head unit. Thanks.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Well Known
Mar 27, 2019
Marinette County, Wisconsin
You NEVER cut the stock harness, that is one of the dumbest mistakes that you can make installing a head unit for what saving 5-15 bucks for the harness? Now you are going to have a to buy a stock wiring harness off of sonicelectronix or eBay, rewire that back together and buy a wiring harness and DO IT THE CORRECT WAY! Because I am willing to bet when you cut the stock harness you cut it right at the plug not leaving enough to rewire it correctly.

OP
P

ProFly

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 21, 2019
It should still work without using a harness, and I know I wired it correctly. If it was a new car I would have got him to get a harness, but it's probably a $2,000 car.

speaker.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fithwheel

Dec 8, 2017
indiana
I like the drawing. 

why not use that dmm to check for continuity?

Seems like you answered your own question to me anyway 

OP
P

ProFly

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 21, 2019
If anyone else is having this problem, I figured it out. This car has an amp. With me splicing the wires, the amp no longer has power.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
1st step is always check what vehicle model they have.  Also look in the interior for some kind of sound system branding like bose, jbl, monsoon, mark levinson etc...  

2nd Doesn't matter what car expensive or cheap. Always use a fking harness. ALWAYS no ifs ands or buts. No excuses thats one of the worse ghetto rig shit you can do in an install period. 

• Thanks
Reactions: Talontsi90

Talontsi90

CarAudio.com VIP
Mar 14, 2019
1st step is always check what vehicle model they have.  Also look in the interior for some kind of sound system branding like bose, jbl, monsoon, mark levinson etc...  

2nd Doesn't matter what car expensive or cheap. Always use a fking harness. ALWAYS no ifs ands or buts. No excuses thats one of the worse ghetto rig shit you can do in an install period. 
The cheap way is NEVER the cheap way. Spend the <$20...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest classifieds