Can you wire an amp to an after market stereo?

Participant count
  • Participant list

JonP158

I have an 88 Oldsmobile 1996 with after market speakers and a Pioneer stereo. Instead of getting a 4 channel amp and connecting it to all 4 speakers, I want to know if it is possible to just get a 1 channel amp and wire it to the stereo? I want to add more volume and clarity to my car stereo. I don't have subs and don't plan to ever get them. The car was designed with two 5X1/4 inch speakers in the front doors and two 6X9 speakers in the back but I managed to get 6X9's in the front as well. The problem is that the design of the car has most sound coming from the back and I'd like to even it out. Settings on the stereo don't really help out that much. Can you tell me if it will make a difference of not, or if I can even do it?

Thanks

You would want a 2/4 channel amp

Most 1 channel amps aren't meant for the freq range for your door speakers. Just get a 4 channel

Also you would connect the amp to the speakers, not the stereo. Well you connect the RCAS to the stereo so it sends the signal the amp, but your amp will send the power through to your speakers, and not through your stereo then through your speakers if thats what you're asking

NIHL8ION, So would that supply enough power to make a difference that I can hear? I just want to make sure because I don't want to buy something where the difference is minimal. How come it doesn't state wattage? Don't most amps say 500 watts and so forth? Last thing is how do I wire it? Do I do what IonRL205 said? Hook up the RCA's to the stereo then individually connect it to each speaker? I'm just wondering because I'm not very var audio savvy but I don't want to put a fortune into such an old car.

it's 45w rms x 4 - Thats at least double any Head unit's built in power, yes you will hear a difference... This is the only amp I know of that is DESIGNED to run off of your stereo wiring harness that does NOT require you running dedicated power from the battery... Hope that helps ;-)

it's 45w rms x 4 - Thats at least double any Head unit's built in power, yes you will hear a difference... This is the only amp I know of that is DESIGNED to run off of your stereo wiring harness that does NOT require you running dedicated power from the battery... Hope that helps ;-)
There's a new one on the market from Clarion, XC1410. It's Class D instead of AB, more powerful, less distortion, much more efficient, and cheaper.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.