Can you fit a sealed off 18" in a sedan trunk?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
I have a new SA-18. It's my first "serious" sub and it's absolutely gorgeous. Problem is I had intended to put it in a minivan, but the transmission on this vehicle is on its way out and it's not worth replacing.

When it does finally go I'll put the money towards a new (older used) car. There's really no reason I'd need a large vehicle aside from occasionally moving large items (and I can borrow another car for that). I was thinking about a four door sedan, probably Honda or Toyota since parts for those are abundant, cheap, and well maintained ones last forever. I would very much like to do a sealed off, forward-firing, ported build behind the back seats, but I'm worried about space constraints, primarily the height, especially the height of the opening between the trunk and cabin. I know volume-wise I'd have to sacrifice a lot of the trunk and I'm okay with that.

I know without the exact car it's just guessing at this point, but can I make such a build work? Has anyone seen this done with an 18"? Barring having the cone facing into the cabin head-on, is there anyway is can be tweaked to make this work?

This isn't remotely urgent, but it is something I want to think about going forward. Thanks

I have a new SA-18. It's my first "serious" sub and it's absolutely gorgeous. Problem is I had intended to put it in a minivan, but the transmission on this vehicle is on its way out and it's not worth replacing.
When it does finally go I'll put the money towards a new (older used) car. There's really no reason I'd need a large vehicle aside from occasionally moving large items (and I can borrow another car for that). I was thinking about a four door sedan, probably Honda or Toyota since parts for those are abundant, cheap, and well maintained ones last forever. I would very much like to do a sealed off, forward-firing, ported build behind the back seats, but I'm worried about space constraints, primarily the height, especially the height of the opening between the trunk and cabin. I know volume-wise I'd have to sacrifice a lot of the trunk and I'm okay with that.

I know without the exact car it's just guessing at this point, but can I make such a build work? Has anyone seen this done with an 18"? Barring having the cone facing into the cabin head-on, is there anyway is can be tweaked to make this work?

This isn't remotely urgent, but it is something I want to think about going forward. Thanks
I'd say get a hatchback vehicle. That sundown will do a mean job even in a sealed box configuration. Skip all the trunk cars if you want good sounding bass or else its just a pure rattle trap treatment project with less than desired bass output.

Honda CRX, Acura hatchbacks, volkswagen gti, mazda speed 3

My mustang doesn't have much rattle but I also have mine facing forward instead of rear firing just because bc rattle but also I know a 15 will barely fit sealed off in a ib style set up in my car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.