Can you damage a subwoofer by Putting your hand up against it while it’s playing ?

Wiktorrr

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 26, 2020
Montreal
Hey just installed a brand new audio system in my car which included a Clarion 12” dual 4ohm coils sub at 500Rms. Had my amp tuned by a professional shop yesterday to finish the install. Sub worked perfectly and today I showed a friend, popped the trunk and he put his hand up against the sub while it was blasting. After that the sub sounded bad and when I tested the coils with my multimeter the resistance kept jumping (12,22,1,0,17) and so on, on both coils. Could him putting his hand on the sub blown it?

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Never touch a sub when it’s playing. Don’t push the coils down when it’s not playing either. I never understood why people feel the need to touch moving subs

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Could him putting his hand on the sub blown it?
It could if pressed hard enough on the subs edge to cause voice coli rub. But then you would have seen the abuse in the push. If it was done in the center letting the sub slap the hand, then no.
Some multimeters have to sit a while to read the correct resistance. A boxed sub also reacts to sounds in the enviorment causing a miniscule current, hence the resistance reading jumping around. Put a book or similar object atop the cone and measure again. You could also place box sub down. Did you maybe get overzealous with the volume/bass knob? It should not matter since it was professionally tuned, but just covering bases.

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Never touch a sub when it’s playing. Don’t push the coils down when it’s not playing either. I never understood why people feel the need to touch moving subs
Did you ever see that Steve Meade episode where Deaf Bonce gave them their newest subs for testing? One tester stood on top of the cone and powered it to see if it could push him.

OP
W

Wiktorrr

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 26, 2020
Montreal
It could if pressed hard enough on the subs edge to cause voice coli rub. But then you would have seen the abuse in the push. If it was done in the center letting the sub slap the hand, then no.
Some multimeters have to sit a while to read the correct resistance. A boxed sub also reacts to sounds in the enviorment causing a miniscule current, hence the resistance reading jumping around. Put a book or similar object atop the cone and measure again. You could also place box sub down. Did you maybe get overzealous with the volume/bass knob? It should not matter since it was professionally tuned, but just covering bases.
I don’t think he pressed to hard, definitely didn’t leave a dent but the second he did I noticed the sound was different. I took the sub out of my box to test it and did it in my trunk. but also when I put a finger in each side and push I can head it rubbing on something. I had it on full bass most of the time just excited about the new sub, but didn’t think it mattered since a professional tuned it.

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
but also when I put a finger in each side and push I can head it rubbing on something.
Press it in the center to see if rubbing is present. Also tapping the center will get you results.

. I had it on full bass most of the time just excited about the new sub, but didn’t think it mattered since a professional tuned it.
I agree, I would have done the same.

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Could it just be a shitty sub? the store owner recommended it but I have never heard of Clarion and couldn’t find any reviews online?
Clarion has been around for a while. I used to like their graphic equalizers but am not familiar with their other products. They kind of just faded into the background but managed to outlive superior brands. Odd.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Clarion has been around for a while. I used to like their graphic equalizers but am not familiar with their other products. They kind of just faded into the background but managed to outlive superior brands. Odd.
Yeah since 1940

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Wow, you are right. Just googled it and they started in Japan, the country of high quality audio products. Well, today they are.
When I was a child (7/8), I hated Japan. Then I lived and learned. They do a lot of things really well. Including making gorgeous ass women. Only been there once and was blown away.

OldFartAudio

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jul 20, 2020
Lewisville, TX
Clarion was making some really high end head units back in the nineties. Also they were the parent company of Ungo who made high end alarms. Never heard any of their speakers though.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Did you ever see that Steve Meade episode where Deaf Bonce gave them their newest subs for testing? One tester stood on top of the cone and powered it to see if it could push him.
yes the alphard sub and the clarion OP's sub has the same stiffness so its okay.... not lol. His clarion coil probably slightly separated from the formor. Clarion subs are 1/1000th of their orignal quality way back then.
When I was a child (7/8), I hated Japan. Then I lived and learned. They do a lot of things really well. Including making gorgeous ass women. Only been there once and was blown away.
not anymore, they fugly now straight from japan because they have weird ass beauty trends. The hot ones are here in california because they are mixed hapas. Otherwise korea has better looking women but thats mainly due to high abuse of plastic surgery. Americanized Asians ABGs (asian baby girls) are the best looking naturally by far.

• Haha
Reactions: Slo_Ride

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
yes the alphard sub and the clarion OP's sub has the same stiffness so its okay.... not lol. His clarion coil probably slightly separated from the formor. Clarion subs are 1/1000th of their orignal quality way back then.

not anymore, they fugly now straight from japan because they have weird ass beauty trends. The hot ones are here in california because they are mixed hapas. Otherwise korea has better looking women but thats mainly due to high abuse of plastic surgery. Americanized Asians ABGs (asian baby girls) are the best looking naturally by far.
It's been a minute since I've been there bro. My cousin brought one back, married her and had two kids. She's still hot. Tall Jap chicks, yes.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
One tester stood on top of the cone and powered it to see if it could push him.
Because a sub built to take 10KW+ burps is the same as OP's 300W Clarion
but also when I put a finger in each side and push I can head it rubbing on something
That's normal as the pressure will push the coil out of alignment. You don't want to do this, particularly with a low power sub since the coil former is not a very strong piece and would easily crack, wrinkle, or fold.

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Could it just be a shitty sub?
Any further results? Sub is entery level made by an established company, but not shitty. It should be able to take the abuse when used according to specs. There is another user whom burned out a new Polk Audio within 3 minutes of installing it. He has a second one and is currently using it hoping things turn out good. He may update us soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Trending Topics