Can the line out from a Head Unit be plugged directly into AUX port using leads?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi All,

I am deeply sorry if this is the wrong area of the forum to post this question. I am newbie to this site and to car audio however i have learnt few things via forums and Youtube in the last two / three days.

Please hear me out, I am starting a new project in my BMW E60 2007. As some of you may be aware this has the Idrive so aftermarket stereo is kind of out of the question without taking out the Idrive.

However I have come up with with an idea and in theory I think this may work, but I need to verify few points before I splash out loads of money.

I am not really after amazing quality sound, I am happy with my stock speakers. I am abit gutted that I dont have USB drive or SD memory card slot.

So I have come up with an idea, Firstly the questions are as follows

1, Can the "Line Out" on a Head Unit be directly plugged into an Aux and sounds comes through? I am thinking of using an RCA leads with red and white on one end and standard 3.5mm jack on the end? I am unsure if I can post an ebay link but I can show you the HU and connections. So line out would play sound directly into the vehicles existing AUX port allowing the sound ot be heard from the vehicle speakers and steering volume control?

2. If the above cannot be done then the speaker wires from the HU(Rear and front) can they be soldered/crimped onto RCA/male Phonos which will then plug into female Phonos with a 3.5mm jack the other end? The 3.5mm jack will then be plugged into the aux port. is wiring the speakers directly to rca and plugging them possible without an amp?

What I am looking to achieve is that I intend to buy a cheap Bluetooth Headunit off ebay with Usb and Bluetooh capabilities, What I will then do is tap into the live feeds via fusebox or cig lighter to power my additional unit. Using the line out, connect a 3,5mm jack and plug it into the vehicles existing auxiliary port I will then stream music from my phone to the additional Head unit which will play the sound via line out/speaker wires and then this will be played into the vehicle via the AUX port.

I know this may sound confusing bt I really need help before I purchase the stuff to only see it doesn't work, like I say I am newbie so any help is appreciated. Also I know I can just get an Bluetooth dongle but I want to be able to see the track am changing and hopefully use my mobile phone as hands free.

I look forward to hearing from you

Here is the link the unit I wish to purchase with Line out. XTRONS Head Unit Single 1 Din Car DVD Player 3" HD Stereo Radio Bluetooth USB SD | eBay

Car Stereo Headunit Radio Player MP3 / USB /SD/ AUX / FM / iPod / iPhone Non CD | eBay

Here is the wire that would go from line out to the 3.5mm jack, 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack to 2 x Twin RCA Phono Cable Lead PC TV 1m 2m 3m 17m 20m | eBay

Here is the wire I would plug crimped/soldered into the back of the HU harness, this would then plug into an Aux port. 3.5mm Stereo Male Jack to 2 Twin RCA AV Phono Female Socket Adapter Cable Lead | eBay

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

blessing786

blessing786
United Kingdom
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
blessing786