can someone help me pick out a computer power supply for car amp....

ccapital83

CarAudio.com Elite
Jan 5, 2011
NY
Do I just match up the amperage to the amp I connect it to? so if the amp has 50a fusing get a supply that's close to 50a or a little less?

Last edited by a moderator:

keep_hope_alive

Acoustics Engineer
Premium Member
10+ year member
May 1, 2007
Quad Cities, IL
you will not find a computer power supply with a 50A output.  A 50A DC power supply costs hundreds of dollars.  a subwoofer plate amp is a much better solution if high power is required.  You can expect about 100W out of a PC power supply for an amp (at most). 

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
VA
you will not find a computer power supply with a 50A output.  A 50A DC power supply costs hundreds of dollars.  a subwoofer plate amp is a much better solution if high power is required.  You can expect about 100W out of a PC power supply for an amp (at most). 
Not to go against the point of your statement, but 12v 100dca supplies are much cheaper than they used to be. Around $100 

Just get a home amplifier if you want something for inside. The only time I'd use a car audio amp inside is for testing

keep_hope_alive

Acoustics Engineer
Premium Member
10+ year member
May 1, 2007
Quad Cities, IL

Pyropin

Sipping Tea
Mar 7, 2014
WinISD
Sorry, but this is incorrect. There are many PSUs on the market that will provide in excess of 50A on the +12V rail with ease. I'm sitting here typing this from a PC powered by an EVGA 650 GS, which is capable of 54A (648w) on it's single +12V rail.

That said, I'd personally find a pro amplifier or plate amplifier to use, depending on what you are trying to achieve and what sort of functionality you are after. Quality PSUs aren't cheap. Dayton Audio/BASH offer a nice range of subwoofer plate amplifiers, and pro amps such as the EP or iNUKE range offer very good value for money.

L1ttlet

CarAudio.com Well Known
Sep 7, 2018
I have an old power supply and tried to wire it up to an amp and get all the stupid wires correct it never worked. I have a powermax ac/dc inverter which is 55amps. They are pretty cheap now. I just  did an upgrade and have an old 4 channel amp and speakers laying around. Gonna hook it up to power supply and see if it works. Instead of a plate amp or expensive pro amp I'd  try the inverter route as they can play speakers and subwoofers at a much lower ohm and give way more options. I am going to hook up the nvx bluetooth receiver. So with powermax inverter + amp + bluetooth receiver = your own 4ohm to 2 ohm stable amp with bluetooth. 

keep_hope_alive

Acoustics Engineer
Premium Member
10+ year member
May 1, 2007
Quad Cities, IL
Sorry, but this is incorrect. There are many PSUs on the market that will provide in excess of 50A on the +12V rail with ease. I'm sitting here typing this from a PC powered by an EVGA 650 GS, which is capable of 54A (648w) on it's single +12V rail.

That said, I'd personally find a pro amplifier or plate amplifier to use, depending on what you are trying to achieve and what sort of functionality you are after. Quality PSUs aren't cheap. Dayton Audio/BASH offer a nice range of subwoofer plate amplifiers, and pro amps such as the EP or iNUKE range offer very good value for money.
Good Night!  That's a ton of output!  That's only $100?  send a link!

Pyropin

Sipping Tea
Mar 7, 2014
WinISD
Good Night!  That's a ton of output!  That's only $100?  send a link!
This particular model is discontinued now, but the 650 G2 is closest in spec (54.1A) and is $89 or so on Amazon. 

Any high end desktop PSU should be able to deliver its 'rated power' solely on the +12V rail. If it's not '80 Plus' rated, it's most likely garbage. Google 'Super Flower Leadex 2000W'. 166.6A output. Not cheap, of course, and I digress.

keep_hope_alive

Acoustics Engineer
Premium Member
10+ year member
May 1, 2007
Quad Cities, IL
This particular model is discontinued now, but the 650 G2 is closest in spec (54.1A) and is $89 or so on Amazon. 

Any high end desktop PSU should be able to deliver its 'rated power' solely on the +12V rail. If it's not '80 Plus' rated, it's most likely garbage. Google 'Super Flower Leadex 2000W'. 166.6A output. Not cheap, of course, and I digress.
Thanks for the reply.  I haven't seen power supplies with 8 AWG leads on a single +12V output, which drove my comment.  While there is a single 12V rail, are you proposing combining all of the smaller (14-16awg) leads into a single connection?  Should each lead be fused separately? 

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-120-G2-1600-X1/dp/B00MMLUIE8

Pyropin

Sipping Tea
Mar 7, 2014
WinISD
Thanks for the reply.  I haven't seen power supplies with 8 AWG leads on a single +12V output, which drove my comment.  While there is a single 12V rail, are you proposing combining all of the smaller (14-16awg) leads into a single connection?  Should each lead be fused separately? 

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-120-G2-1600-X1/dp/B00MMLUIE8
That is what you'd have to do, but I don't reccomend it. I only mentioned these high power PSUs to let you know they exist  :) Of course, these units will be putting out very close to 12V (mine is currently delivering 12.144V) and our car batteries deliver a couple more volts when running, so it's all far from ideal.

keep_hope_alive

Acoustics Engineer
Premium Member
10+ year member
May 1, 2007
Quad Cities, IL
That is what you'd have to do, but I don't reccomend it. I only mentioned these high power PSUs to let you know they exist  :) Of course, these units will be putting out very close to 12V (mine is currently delivering 12.144V) and our car batteries deliver a couple more volts when running, so it's all far from ideal.
Understood.  I should have clarified that I did not know of a computer PS that had a 50A output on a single lead, as opposed to a total for the entire unit with a dozen wires are paralleled. :)

gregShall

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 2, 2020
USA
Hi, I'm sorry that I can't help you with power supply. Moreover, I've found a lot of interesting info for me. At least maybe I can help you with the best system optimizer. I've found recently a critical review of PC optimization softwares, so you can find something for your PC. There are differences between programs, pros and cons. Generally, I was simply curious to know more about them. I found a new tool for me at the same time, so I hope that it'll be useful for somebody.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending Topics

Latest Classifieds