can someone explain this to me??? term lab

michaellane
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
tx
so i just got my newer setup metered. (term lab db dragg style)

well my old setup was stock electrical with a nine.1 on a hdc3 12. sub and port both faced the rear in my 2002 accord. i hit a 138.7 off music.

well today i ran my four 10's in a box that is ported into the cabin off my nine.1. still stock electrical but i have 0 gauge welding cable compared to the 4 gauge i had in my other setup. they metered me at 137.8.

now i played the same song...

in the begining i had to run it like 14 times before they set the computer up correcty.

if you had to guess did my voltage just drop way down during the 14 times (13 seconds or so a peice) or do you think they had it set wrong?

and my subs are WAY louder to the ear. like they walk all over the (under powered) hdc3

Subs could have also been hot. There are just so many factors. What are the boxes tuned to? What is your vehicle's resonant frequency? Too many variables in this equation to come up with the correct answer.

well my hdc was tuned to 37...id say my new one is around 32--35 (aero port)

it peaked at 46hertz tho...

why would it be a ton louder but stll meter lower? i mean they were idiots. my car was reading a 106 with no music even on...

If you had it blasting for a long time before they were able to meter you, the coils could have warmed up a lot causing a loss....

well my hdc was tuned to 37...id say my new one is around 32--35 (aero port)
it peaked at 46hertz tho...

why would it be a ton louder but stll meter lower? i mean they were idiots. my car was reading a 106 with no music even on...
It's set from the factory not to read anything below 120db so if it was reading 106 they adjusted the settings and didn't know wtf they were doing.

Edit: The meter tells you how loud it is so it's NOT a ton louder. Your ear is telling you it's louder which means it is playing a lot lower. This is why it's not louder. You have tuned your box away from your vehicle's tuning frequency. That's great for music but bad for SPL.

It's set from the factory not to read anything below 120db so if it was reading 106 they adjusted the settings and didn't know wtf they were doing.
yep i got out the car after like 8 runs and radio was off and it was showing a 106 :-(

it has a spot were u can change the minimun db level.. if u lowere it..itll show u room db is like 100..which i dont think its right..but i would leave it min at 120 and u should be hittin above that

it has a spot were u can change the minimun db level.. if u lowere it..itll show u room db is like 100..which i dont think its right..but i would leave it min at 120 and u should be hittin above that
what???

Edit: The meter tells you how loud it is so it's NOT a ton louder. Your ear is telling you it's louder which means it is playing a lot lower. This is why it's not louder. You have tuned your box away from your vehicle's tuning frequency. That's great for music but bad for SPL.
well i know it was tuned a little lower...i just figured the huge jump in cone area would help me out i guess? ima noob

ON the termlab there is a setting where u can change the minimum decibel rating you want it to show..its usually at 120... if u lower the db rating.. it will show a quiet room at 100 dbs which i dont think is right?

but if u leave the min at 120, which ur car should be hittin harder than 120 it will pick it up correctly..

i was just lettin u kno about that

Pics of the 4 10 box?

Trunks are weird, sometimes more is less.

Like the way ur single hdc was coulda been better used for metering with it being smaller box and what not.

I'm sure the 10s are louder, just the way ur trunk is, its not using them correctly for them too meter louder.

I know it doesn't make sense after reading.

Pics of the 4 10 box? Trunks are weird, sometimes more is less.

Like the way ur single hdc was coulda been better used for metering with it being smaller box and what not.

I'm sure the 10s are louder, just the way ur trunk is, its not using them correctly for them too meter louder.

I know it doesn't make sense after reading.
lol i get what youre saying. the box is kinda like yours if i remember right. subs on to with port firing into cabin

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.