Can I use just 1 channel of this 2 channel amp, unbridged?

Participant count
  • Participant list

nohandbrake

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi,

Recently purchased a used amp and sub ($45 total!) and I'm wondering the best way to run them together. I now see that they aren't great matches for each other, but can I use just 1 channel of this 2 channel amp, unbridged (300 Watts x 2 channels @ 2 ohms)? Is there any danger to the sub or amp doing this?

I am planning on using the high level speaker inputs on the amp, and wiring the single 4-ohm dvc sub in parallel (amp sees 2-ohms right?). 2012 Honda Fit Sport - just looking for some additional bass inside the car, speakers and HU stock. Thanks for your advice!

Amp - Dual XPR522
Power Output:
150 Watts x 2 channels @ 4 ohms
300 Watts x 2 channels @ 2 ohms
600 Watts x 1 channel @ 4 ohms (bridged)
Peak Music Power Output: 600 Watts @ 4 ohms

Sub - Polk Momo
MM2104DVC
10" 4-ohm subwoofer
Dual Voice Coils
power handling: 50-300 watts RMS
peak power handling: 600 watts

Wire the subwoofer to 8 ohms and bridge the two channels. "300" watts.
Or
Wire the subwoofer to 2 ohms and run on one channel. "300" watts.

You MIGHT get 100 watts RMS wired either way.

The 8 ohm option will be overall better for your amp because running that one channel at 2 ohms will be sort of maxing it out, running it bridged at 8 ohms will be less stressful, probably less distortion overall, things of that nature.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.