Alternative to "Military Splice"

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Thanks! I wonder why outfits like Crutchfield don't supply them instead of recommending the military splice.
They aren't the greatest connection honestly.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
T-taps are probably the least reliable way to do whatever you're trying to do. It takes some skill, but you can strip the coating off wires without actually cutting the wires. I never recommend cutting or replacing factory wires. You can then wrap a wire around said stripped wire a few times, and electrical tape the wire, and then place a zip tie over that electrical tape, to keep the wire secure.

Curmudgeon10

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 29, 2020
Salisbury, MD
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I know how to do a military splice. In my application, one of 18 connections requires it. It does not appear that there is adequate room for me to do a good job, but I'll try first with the splice. If I can't pull it off, then its the t tap.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
Yes, I know how to do a military splice. In my application, one of 18 connections requires it. It does not appear that there is adequate room for me to do a good job, but I'll try first with the splice. If I can't pull it off, then its the t tap.
I’m not talking about a splice just to be clear. Like you can just take a razor blade and shave some of the coating off the main wire and wrap your extra wire around that then zip tie it secure.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
It takes some skill, but you can strip the coating off wires without actually cutting the wires.
You can remove a small section of insulation off of most under the dash stuff with a Bic lighter and your fingernails. "Military Splice" is very reliable though, next best thing to solder.

Honestly I have never had problems with T-taps myself once you get the hang of them they're solid enough for alarm install type duty and tight places.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds