Can i use a 80a fuse for this?

stay_high
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
Blew the fuse on my 8 gauge power wire. Its was origanlly a 50A size fuse. I have an 80A size fuse laying around. Could i use this instead of another 50A? There the exact same size and everything would fit right in.

NO! you will melt your wire before the fuse will pop . thats why a 50 is in there because a 8guage wire is only good for 50amps do not put that fuse in there

NO! you will melt your wire before the fuse will pop . thats why a 50 is in there because a 8guage wire is only good for 50amps do not put that fuse in there
Ok well then i wont do this aha will have to buy another fuse. So can i replace the fuse while the power wire is still hooked up to the amp? Or should i disconect the wire from the amp? Or the battery? Or what?

i have always disconnected from battery put fuse in then reconnected kinda preference imo.. yeah but get a new 50amp dont replace with a bigger one
So id be fine putting in a new one while the wires still hooked up to the amp and batt? Also, the fuse blew because my power wire (was disconnected from amp at the time) touched a piece of metal under me seat and spearked a whole bunch. Is it normal for power wire to spark like that just from touhing metal?

do not use a 80 amp fuse on wire thats rated for 50 amps period thats like putting a 50 amp breaker on a 20 amp circut in your house the wire will melt before your protetion device work and trips ignore this post ^ op

Blew the fuse on my 8 gauge power wire. Its was origanlly a 50A size fuse. I have an 80A size fuse laying around. Could i use this instead of another 50A? There the exact same size and everything would fit right in.
Doooood.... U don't have that eight gauge running your onyx 1500, or God forbid, both off your amps, do you?

Like it has been stated, you fuse the WIRE properly for what it can handle, 50A, so replace it with the proper size fuse.

An 80A fuse will be more 4 gauge territory. If your original 50A fuse did not blow because of playing your system hard enough to where it drew over 50A of current, rather you accidentally grounding your power wire by having it touch the vehicle's chassy or metal, then just simply replace with the same. If your system is drawing more than 50A, then you'll need to upgrade to larger cable and in turn be able to fuse larger.

What does your system consist of BTW?

you can run the 80 amp fuse but at that point you might as well not run a fuse at all as you've defeated it's purpose. I always fuse for the wire I'm using, not the expected draw if that makes any sense.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.