Can I run a 5 channel amp off one set of RCA's?

Participant count
  • Participant list
get 4 1 female 2 male y splitters

1 set plugged into the rcas

and 1 set bridging the 4 channel portion of the amp

from the 4 channel you plug the female end into the male ends leading from the rcas

then on the rca the male ones you have left you plug into the subwoofer rca

its better to have 3 set of preouts on your deck because doing this lowers your output voltage because its only one signal instead of 3

it depends on the amp. there's alot of amps that will let you use one set of inputs to run the whole thing just check on the amp specs.
This is what I suggest.

Many of the better quality amps will have a selector switch to alter the input to allow it to work with what ever you have going on.

If not, then do not use the "Y jumper" method. Pick up a cheap EQ that will do that for you.

This is what I suggest.
Many of the better quality amps will have a selector switch to alter the input to allow it to work with what ever you have going on.

If not, then do not use the "Y jumper" method. Pick up a cheap EQ that will do that for you.
This. You get a parametric eq, external volume, x-over, line driver, all in one little 1/2 din cheap unit. 1 set in, 3 sets out on some. You can get a decent one for less than $100.

meh, not quite parametric, and only $50, but you see the point:

eqs746.jpg

the Infinity Kappa 5 can accept just 2 inputs and power 4 speakers + subs.
let me ask this, and it is the primary reason I suggested an external eq/line driver. If your HU pre's are rated at 2volts max, what do you think the avg may be at low level listening, say between 1/4 and 1/2 vol??

. I understand the basic math, but realistically with musical transients and such, i seems like the line voltage would be dipping pretty low..I was just curious about your thoughts on that, not to threadjack or anything.

you want gain as soon as you can get it. so a EQ like the EQS746 (i've owned one) gives you some fading and level control at the dash, while boosting the signal before transmitting it (and adding some tone control). i prefer this option - but it also adds cost (plus the cost of RCA's) and it adds another source of noise in the signal chain.

a low output voltage head unit is fine when the amp has a gain range capable of handling it. course, this means you operate with more amp gain so you end up with more noise.

best to get gain as soon as you can. #1 rule in audio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.