Can I drive 4 hours without an alternator?

schackel
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
my alternator is charging at 4 volts so pretty much not working. If i dont play music or play it at a low volume with out the sub could i make it 4 hours without problems?

the batterys (stock front and big batter in the back) are hooked up in my car and on a sitting charger right now.

Id also go with no...but who knows Ive driven only 30 miles with no alternator...didnt seem to do the battery real harm but I remember when I was trying to trace the reason why my alternator wasnt charging the battery when I shorted the terminals I turned my car on and off about 8 times and left it running for more than 45 mins with only a .5 voltage drop amps unhooked...and idling all for about 4 mins..

Id also go with no...but who knows Ive driven only 30 miles with no alternator...didnt seem to do the battery real harm but I remember when I was trying to trace the reason why my alternator wasnt charging the battery when I shorted the terminals I turned my car on and off about 8 times and left it running for more than 45 mins with only a .5 voltage drop amps unhooked...and idling all for about 4 mins..
huh?

so your terminals were shorted on your alternator? and you fixed it but turning your car on and off 8 times and then left it running for 45 minutes? i am confused

the real question is why do you have to drive 4 hours without a charging system?

why not go to a junk yard and see if they will sell you one cheap first? or maybe give them something of value to hold until you bring it back? i dunno

the real question is why do you have to drive 4 hours without a charging system?
why not go to a junk yard and see if they will sell you one cheap first? or maybe give them something of value to hold until you bring it back? i dunno
i have my stock alt i just dont have time to change it out.

what part of running a car needs electricity? i know the lights and **** but what else?

I doubt it. Car underload is probly 14.4 volts. At idle, 12.5-13.5? THe original system amperage load? I would bet that is would be dead in an hour. The car is designed to run off the alternator. The battery is like a jump start for the starter. once the engine is running it activated the charging system which powers up your vehicals electrical sysytem. This is why it is recomended that people upgrade alternators and batteries.

I doubt it. Car underload is probly 14.4 volts. At idle, 12.5-13.5? THe original system amperage load? I would bet that is would be dead in an hour. The car is designed to run off the alternator. The battery is like a jump start for the starter. once the engine is running it activated the charging system which powers up your vehicals electrical sysytem. This is why it is recomended that people upgrade alternators and batteries.
so even though i gots a extra battery it wont last?

With the extra battery, you will be fine. dont touch the music though, that will drain your battery in minutes. The cars ignition does't use much so if you keep all electronics off including headlights you will make it but i dont reccomend it. Only in an emergency would i do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.