Can i bitstream USB to a headunit without using AOA 2.0 from my nexus 7

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a 2013 nexus 7 installed in my car with a USB OTG y cable & usb hub, currently with a USB DAC (hifimediy u2) & external hard drive for my lossless files.

I found on reddit that some new JVC, Pioneer & Kenwood HU's use AOA 2.0 to stream audio via USB & control the tablet. I'd LOVE To use that but I doubt it will work since I have to use an OTG cable & USB hub for my devices.????

If I were to buy one of these https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box could I stream USB to a new or old headunit?

I don't want to use bluetooth streaming, doubt I can use AOA 2.0 becasue of hub & otg y cable. Prefer not to use a minidsp unless it's used with a headunit (80Prs?) so I can have volume control in my center console. What are my options without auxilary, which I read is poor quality on headunits.

i assume you have external amplification for all of the speakers? you can take an audio output and add a volume knob easily,

CL-RLC - Car Audio - OEM Interface - System Expansion - JL Audio

analog is analog. running an AUX input on a head unit is fine, you just need to gain-match with a CD source on the HU. and the quality will be as good as the DAC feeding it (internal or external).

There are a lot of possibilities with AOA 2.0, like a head unit manufacturer that wants to allow a USB input to act like a digital audio input.

Android Music Playback via USB | Kenwood

but asking the head unit to control the tablet through a USB hub that also has an external drive (which is being sourced for files) may be asking too much.

getting the exact compatibility you want will require reviewing the tables in the link above, but it won't have your exact situation discussed. you'll need to play with it yourself and report back. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i assume you have external amplification for all of the speakers? you can take an audio output and add a volume knob easily, CL-RLC - Car Audio - OEM Interface - System Expansion - JL Audio

analog is analog. running an AUX input on a head unit is fine, you just need to gain-match with a CD source on the HU. and the quality will be as good as the DAC feeding it (internal or external).

There are a lot of possibilities with AOA 2.0, like a head unit manufacturer that wants to allow a USB input to act like a digital audio input.

Android Music Playback via USB | Kenwood

but asking the head unit to control the tablet through a USB hub that also has an external drive (which is being sourced for files) may be asking too much.

getting the exact compatibility you want will require reviewing the tables in the link above, but it won't have your exact situation discussed. you'll need to play with it yourself and report back. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
yes, will be using kicker amp for my 2 speakers.

Ok ive also seen some RCA simple line in volume controllers but thought it would be easier if its all connected to the HU. I can then control the volume from the HU?

I was considering the 80PRS but unfortunately would have to use auxilary.

Let's just say I took an 80prs & a mini dsp & had them configured so their sound is at the exact same detail & quality for this example. The 80prs would be connected by auxilary & the minidsp will be a digital connection. What differences would I notice between the 2.

80PRS doesn't have optical, which is what the MiniDSP does.

And the power needed by the MiniDSP may be more than the tablet can source while also powering an external drive and hub.

A CD in the head unit will be different and the likely better then a configuration trying to get the external input to receive a signal from your tablet. Even if you had the analog output of the tablet the distortion in the analog output itself would be noticeable. By running a deck you are limiting yourself to the clock quality and dac quality and then the ability for the dac to gain match with the head unit.

Rich V.

Sounds like you want a car pc. We all want a good way to source lossless files on an external drive. We want quality source material and we want ease of control. Sadly, there isn't much out there that gives us what we want despite the ability to and the technology to being readily available

Rich V.

I think your best bet is to use the tablet as a source and get a fiber optic output that you can run to an external processor that also features a remote control. The Audison bit one or the Alpine PXA h800 both have the capability to do what you want. They give you a volume control knob at the front of the car and tuning capabilities to make the system sound as good as possible

Rich V.

80PRS doesn't have optical, which is what the MiniDSP does.
And the power needed by the MiniDSP may be more than the tablet can source while also powering an external drive and hub.

A CD in the head unit will be different and the likely better then a configuration trying to get the external input to receive a signal from your tablet. Even if you had the analog output of the tablet the distortion in the analog output itself would be noticeable. By running a deck you are limiting yourself to the clock quality and dac quality and then the ability for the dac to gain match with the head unit.

Rich V.
I have a DCDC usb power supply + extra DCDC's available to power the minidsp.

Is my best option really to take either my USB DAC to a mini dsp or a usb streamer to minidsp & then add a volume control knob considering the audio will be quite poor from auxilary?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.