Equalizer vs. x-over slope Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tbonem3

LA, CA
HI all,

Could you please tell me whether or not boosting the cutoff frequency will affect the starting point of the x-over slope?

In other words, if I HPF my woofers at 80hz, let's say at 12db/oct, but I boost the 80hz frequency in my equalizer, by let's say 3 db, will 40hz (an octave lower than 80) be 3 db higher now? So does the 12db/oct slope that starts at 80hz start out 3 db higher because I boosted the 80hz frequency?

Another way of putting it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif, does boosting 80hz in my equalizer also boost the rest of the frequencies that come after 80hz. Or is my slope now more like 15db/oct because the starting frequency is 3db higher?

Thanks!!!!

HI all,
Could you please tell me whether or not boosting the cutoff frequency will affect the starting point of the x-over slope?

In other words, if I HPF my woofers at 80hz, let's say at 12db/oct, but I boost the 80hz frequency in my equalizer, by let's say 3 db, will 40hz (an octave lower than 80) be 3 db higher now? So does the 12db/oct slope that starts at 80hz start out 3 db higher because I boosted the 80hz frequency?

Another way of putting it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif, does boosting 80hz in my equalizer also boost the rest of the frequencies that come after 80hz. Or is my slope now more like 15db/oct because the starting frequency is 3db higher?

Thanks!!!!
http://autosound21.co.kr/shop/board_data/automanual/EQT_Owners_Manual.pdf

page 1

you shouldnt be boosting though.

I think page 1 there is saying that changes made to the equalizer will affect the volumes of the frequencies that slope down after the HPF'd frequency, but I'm not sure, I'm not that informed with this stuff. Whenever I search it in google, I just learn more about slopes or eq or whatever, individually, not how they interact.

Anyone else? Thanks.

I think page 1 there is saying that changes made to the equalizer will affect the volumes of the frequencies that slope down after the HPF'd frequency, but I'm not sure, I'm not that informed with this stuff. Whenever I search it in google, I just learn more about slopes or eq or whatever, individually, not how they interact.
Anyone else? Thanks.
Sigh i was hoping you would extrapolate the information you needed.

the short answer is yes.

he

the long answer is yes, because each band of an equalizer has a q factor which is essentially the size of the hill/valley of frequencies around your target frequency that are affected.

parmet2.gif

I see what you're saying, but it doesn't complete my example. It does partially, I see you're saying that it affects it, but I'm curious how exactly. Maybe you can't know, maybe it depends on the q factor of the equalizer (80prs). Thanks for your help though. And you don't need to be condescending, I already admitted that I'm not a pro. If you would like to help me in a way that I can understand, then thank you.

To be as specific as I can, what I'm most curious about is whether, for example, 40hz will be 12db lower than 80hz if 80hz is boosted. Or is it now 15db lower because 80hz was boosted 3db. I understand the frequencies around 80hz will be affected because of q factor, but I would like to know if the crossover slope is altered.

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.