Can I add my sub to this existing installation?

Participant count
  • Participant list

John AMD
10+ year member

Boston
Hello all,

I currently have a 4 channel Eclipse amp, which has been installed using 4ga wiring. I have an Alpine HU with F & R outputs. Can I run the F & R speakers as non fading and use the existing amp to power the subs? If so what is the best way to wire it? The sub is a box containing 2 JL 10w's1or 0's I forget, it's been awhile since I got them.

I do have a mono sub amp that could be used but I would rather not have another power wire run to my trunk. Is there an option where this amp could be used?

You won't have to run another power wire to run the other amp.

Just get a distribution block and ru both amps off the one 4-ga power wire. It should handle the current needed. Unless total system power is in excess of 1500 watts.

Ok, thanks, I will do that. How about the ground? Can I grab onto the ground that the 4 channel is using or should I run a new wire? Also, what is the best way to spit the rca connections and get signal into the sub amp? Can I just get some Y adapters and split off of the rear output from the deck, 1 into the 4 channel and 1 into the sub amp?

Should I upgrade the 60Amp fuse that is curently installed?

As for ground. Run a new wire from the second amp, and ground it to tha same place as the wire to your first amp. This is called star-grounding, and is a must with all ampliers.

And yeah just use y-adapters to split the rear signals.

WRONG!!!!!! Don't use Y adapters man!! Go buy either a line driver or a x/o with Voltage boost capabilities. This way ur amps get good strong signal from ur HU and ur nopt straining with a low voltage.

J

Y-Adapters will work fine.

Because it's the voltage that drives the amp you won't notice any loss in signal strength.

Basic electronic theory tells us this. Any loads wired in parallel (like when using y-adapters) will receive the same voltage.

OK last question, I think. Should I upgrade the fuse at the main line coming into the trunk? It is currently a 60 Amp fuse, the 4 channel amp has (2) 25 Amp fuses in it.

The sub amp has (1) 25 Amp fuse in it. Or, should I just add another inline fuse to the sub amp wiring.

Yeah upgrade the fuse. I'd go up to at least 100 amps.

remember the fuse in the main line isn't to protet your amps. It's to protect the wire, and the car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.