Can anyone help me find a good grounding spot?

male-service-post-one-cable-12-sol-8-str

They loosen under vibration.https://jadelearning.com/jadecc/courses/UNIVERSAL/NEC05.php?imDif=2191.0

After 15 years of electrical I'm pretty much a master electrician even though I don't have my Master's license which is basically a journeyman's license which I do have an $10,000 in the bank and another testing on the business Theory section which is total ********.

I highly recommend drill and tap and use some type of locking washer.
Oh get off your ****** highhorse....you don't need to be an electrician to use a goddam bolt/nut combo for a dam ground.

Less resistance in copper wire than a steel car frame so its a better ground. In fact best ground is stright to alt case and a lot of HO alts have lugs on the cases to run your ground too - Mike Singer told me on average its good for 30 more amps than grounding through the frame. I have two of my 270 alts grounded to the frame and added ground studs to them while I have them out doing repairs since I killed them and going to run 0 gauge from neg battery buss bars straight to alts and see if I get any more amperage.
Every vehicle grounds to the vehicles frame.
Its best to the alt case because most engines have two engine grounds to the frame.

That's why most big builds you will see them drill holes in the floor to ground directly to the frame instead of a long ground to the battery.

Sent from my lineage_athene using Tapatalk

Every vehicle grounds to the vehicles frame.
Its best to the alt case because most engines have two engine grounds to the frame.

That's why most big builds you will see them drill holes in the floor to ground directly to the frame instead of a long ground to the battery.

So your saying carbon steel is lower in resistance than copper ? I know lots of people go to the frame and heck mine is there now and I will take measurements before and after and see ?

So your saying carbon steel is lower in resistance than copper ? I know lots of people go to the frame and heck mine is there now and I will take measurements before and after and see ?
As far as resistance wise no its not lower then copper or brass.
But that's the main ground so resistance should be almost none.

As far as resistance wise no its not lower then copper or brass.
But that's the main ground so resistance should be almost none.

But its not truly a ground ? Its a common and Its pathway back to alt case_ through the frame, ground cables and iron steel block and alt bracket ect. So going around all those potentially bad connections and poor conductivity with copper and no extra connections and lower resistance cant help but perform better right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
But its not truly a ground ? Its pathway back to alt case_ through the frame, ground cables and iron steel block and alt bracket ect. So going around all those potentially bad connections and poor conductivity with copper and no extra connections and lower resistance cant help but perform better right ?
A power source cannot ground its self.
The alt is grounded via the bolts to the block to the frame.

A power source cannot ground its self.
The alt is grounded via the bolts to the block to the frame.

Theoretically there is no ground as like we have in A/C, isn't the ground provided by current flow back to the battery per say? The frame is not grounded its just a common metal connected to the battery via cables instead of using copper wire to save weight and be convenient Thats why its a better connection not going through all that right ? I guess i mean will it ground through the frame ? yes ! Is it the best pathway? I dont think it is. I am truly no electronics wiz but seems logical? I will find out though. And it has been conveyed to me by others that do alt work to be true and by a worthwhile amount. I have heard on average 30 amp gain ? I have three alts so if I could gain close to 90 more amps ? Hell ya I will try it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also just looking at the conductivity rates between copper and steel and iron is about 10 x worse and more ( if I am reading the chart i found online correctly)So that alone would make a difference along with all the other losses in connections between battery and cables and alt bracket and engine block and the frame. I dont see how it couldn't be a lot better. Also I am only talking about my stereo system and it runs completely isolated from the truck electrical system.

If my battery tests at 13.7 volts and on random days my amps run the same and drop accordingly but some days like today and yesterday it's at 9.7 volts and I'm assuming it's going into protect because it's not getting sufficient power is this true?
30486a2af4d65781a9b050c6c60c05ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Hot days voltage drops from temp. Must be a good amp if it hasnt burned up yet lol ! 9.5 wow !

Hot days voltage drops from temp. Must be a good amp if it hasnt burned up yet lol ! 9.5 wow !
Should have burned up 4sure no matter what brand it is unless it's got protect mode.
Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.