California build thread

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Bridgeton NJ
So I am in California, 6 guys decided they really wanted me to work on their cars more than the guys around here. So they paid for everything and here I am.

5 370z's

1 370z roadster

I will be posting up pics of each one as i finish.

OP
bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Bridgeton NJ
Ok today was:

Alpine w910

Polk MM

Bost Acoustic Amp

Metra Axxess

Kenwood rear camera

The goodies

The ride

How much I want to take this head unit home with me

Stock

Wiring new speakers

Rear camera

Done right

OP
bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Bridgeton NJ
Next up we have a more factory stealth look

Basically he wanted to keep the stock head unit and add a little more Bump. We started this last last night and I knew we would never get it done, so this morning I cam and finished it. Today "day 2" was two installs.

So we installed:

Polk DB 6.5's

Boston Acoustic amp

Kenwood KSC-SW10

The car

Installed new speakers and ran new wires.

Soldered and heat shrink as usual

Installed

All wires organized

OP
bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Bridgeton NJ
Power wire ran

All stock wires ran to the new sub and high level inputs on the amp

Amp installed

Wires cleaned up

Sub installed

All and all I was impressed with the quality of sound that the amp and sub were producting as they were getting high level inputs.

OP
bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Bridgeton NJ
Power wire ran

All stock wires ran to the new sub and high level inputs on the amp

Amp installed

Wires cleaned up

Sub installed

All and all I was impressed with the quality of sound that the amp and sub were producting as they were getting high level inputs.

OP
bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Bridgeton NJ
3rd install and second of the day was simple

Who just wanted a simple rear camera and head unit

We installed

Pioneer Head unit

Pioneer Camera

Metra Axxess

The ride

Rear camera wires ran and organized

Lots of wires

Test install

Finished

TheUnderFighter

Beer Addict
Mar 15, 2011
Murrieta, California, (SoCal)
Yea this probably would have just fit better in the build-log section:p Good stuff though. Judging by your location I would've thought you were in Jersey, where about in California is this? Looks a bit like San Diego or Covina area to me.

Any why did they all insist upon Polk speakers and BA amps? >.

OP
bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Bridgeton NJ
Yea this probably would have just fit better in the build-log section:p Good stuff though. Judging by your location I would've thought you were in Jersey, where about in California is this? Looks a bit like San Diego or Covina area to me.Any why did they all insist upon Polk speakers and BA amps? >.

I was flown here to work on these cars, I live in NJ.

I am staying around Orange County.

As far as polk and BA stuff, some of these build are BUDGET builds they are not all high end 1000 dollar amps and speakers. Polk IMO makes some great bang for the buck upgrade speakers especially from the stock stuff.

OP
bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Bridgeton NJ
Today was a 2011 370z

Installed:

JL amp

Pioneer head unit

Polk MM speakers

Metra Axxess

The stuff

The car

New wires ran

New speakers

New tweeters in factory bracket

Wires organized

KyleBechtold

Buy my fuses $1.25ea
10+ year member
Nov 24, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I was flown here to work on these cars, I live in NJ.I am staying around Orange County.

As far as polk and BA stuff, some of these build are BUDGET builds they are not all high end 1000 dollar amps and speakers. Polk IMO makes some great bang for the buck upgrade speakers especially from the stock stuff.
so they spend money on having you come out to do average installs with average equipment.. They are in cali.. there are probably 100's if not more audio shops.. do you know these people? I always see people "flying you out" to do basic installs.. please explain..

Bettr n' Revrse

I do what I want
Dec 21, 2010
Grand Junction, CO
so they spend money on having you come out to do average installs with average equipment.. They are in cali.. there are probably 100's if not more audio shops.. do you know these people? I always see people "flying you out" to do basic installs.. please explain..
Ya this really confuses me as well... If I was flying someone out to help me with an install I would definitely have equipment worth more then the amount it cost me to get the guy out there lol... Nice work as I said in your other thread

TheUnderFighter

Beer Addict
Mar 15, 2011
Murrieta, California, (SoCal)
I was wondering the same thing. Didn't make much sense to me:\

And you don't have to spend much more, if any, than you do on Polk, to get better than Polk. I mean, they aren't Pyle or Pyramid.... But you can get quality components for well under $100 bucks.

VWBobby

PG and SS nuthugger
Jul 22, 2010
West coast
^^ was wondering the same..... Couple of problems. Don't use zip ties to mount fuse holders. Eventually it will start rubbing and vibrating, plus it looks like shit....

Why are you using a torch instead of a proper soldering iron? Not only is it awkward, its hard to get enough heat focused on the joint. Use more solder, you barely have enough.

Polk makes average sounding speakers for the price...... dozens of better speakers out there. Should've went with Boston speakers and some of the smaller/newer amps for a more stealth install. Other than that, looks great... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds