*CAF* Duramax 2500 HD - Fiberglass Underseat Sub Box - PICS and HOW TO Videos Inside

mklett33
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
MI
Hey all! Much like my previous threads I am starting another part of a build that will be completely documented through video. The support for the door pod series was awesome and I hope you guys enjoy this series just as much. Just like before I will be video taping every single step and editing all the information together to present to you. If you haven't seen my videos before I hope that you enjoy them and would love to hear what you think!

If you missed the seeing the door pods I mentioned above here is how they turned out:

If you would like to see the in depth process of each step for how I made these door pods there is a conveniently organized playlist on YouTube at this link:

Well, thats it for now, off to a good start, I already have the bottom fiberglass molded, just need to edit the video, so you guys have to wait! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wacky.gif.cf4a48f9e6dfe9504ffd2c946fd2f340.gif Let me know what you guys think, wondering what direction you think I should go with the insert pieces, back lit, metal mesh, etc.

Whew, resin stinks, I got a good six or so layers on. Nice and thick, I can stand on the box with no flex whatsoever.

Here is the next video, I have a bunch of pictures too, but I want to edit them before upload.

This video will show how I mold the bottom of the enclosure with fiberglass.

Pictures! All steps can be seen in the video in my previous post.

Molded the floor of the enclosure:

Have to be sure it is strong!

Added the top:

Had to fill up the large hole at the back of the enclosure where I wasnt able to just mold the floor:

One mistake I made is I went to heavy with the resin with the first coat, it ended up really glossy on the bottom of the enclosure, but still I was able to build several layers and it is STRONG. In the video I even bounce up and down on it with no issues!

Who wants some pics?

Started with a circle around the sub, didnt really like it so you will see but I do something a little different:

UnderSeatBox_0029_zps734120d9.jpg

UnderSeatBox_0028_zpsb6f77069.jpg

Finally got a new dust mask! i love this thing!

UnderSeatBox_0032_zpsf3a71adc.jpg

Like the new shape around the sub better?

UnderSeatBox_0033_zps4885029b.jpg

UnderSeatBox_0035_zps630802a3.jpg

UnderSeatBox_0034_zps09ed668d.jpg

UnderSeatBox_0036_zps4978eb95.jpg

Amplifier cover templates:

UnderSeatBox_0037_zps8c9220a7.jpg

UnderSeatBox_0038_zps42eee41c.jpg

UnderSeatBox_0043_zps7b983b57.jpg

UnderSeatBox_0042_zps9900ad8f.jpg

Messed around a little with this mesh, do you think I should use it?

UnderSeatBox_0041_zps15fd09eb.jpg

Man I need a dust collector! Any suggestions?

UnderSeatBox_0040_zpsfcd3f6a2.jpg

Here are all the steps in video:

Super clean work man, awesome design. I like the mesh it looks like what rockford uses on there marine stuff, where do you plan on using it.
Thanks, I plan on using it underneath the insert pieces over the amp and next to the subwoofer.

What kind of respirator do you have for the fiberglassing?
I have a 3m one that I picked up from a local hardware store. I spent $35 on it iirc. Look for one that is rated for paint.

So I know have got the amp rack fibeglassed, smoothed and all ready for vinyl. Lets take a look at the steps:

Started with some fiberglass:

Started smoothing thins out with filler:

Heres how the mesh looks over the amps, still not sure if I will use it, or paint it. I need to see what it looks like after everything is wrapped.

Everything is smooth now!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.