burnt sub coil question

RUDEF2
10+ year member

hey whats up, i have a question. I recently burnt the voice coils up on 2 JL 18"s, one is a W6 and the other is a W3, they are both DVC. I just now got brave enough to open up the W6 and take a peek @ what happened in there. I carefully disassembled everything so that i can put it all back together and you would hardly know i even took it apart, but i got to the voice coil and part of it had become unwrapped on the end, about a 1.5' feet of slightly chared voice coil. I clipped this off and neatly stuck the ends of the woven vc back in there. My questions is, will my sub work if i reassemble it? and Am i taking a chance at messing up my amp. I am running a Rockford Fosgate 1000a2 rated @ 1648watts @ 2ohms. Any advice is more than appreciated. thanks- justin

well since you clipped off some of that wire i believe you just changed your resistance of your sub.....you lowered it i beleive.....and the chances of it working properly again are slim to none.....it will make a nice hat to wear though.....

i told loyd i was going to do the hat trick when i got my xxx... and there it is.

now lets hope i can get my treo csx 12 and ill have another hat.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Okay thanks for the replies! I hooked up, the W6 and you were right, i did nothing. so i hooked up my W3 and it sounds like it WANTS to play but is making a high pitched scratchy noise, like the vc has come unwound. do you think if i take it apart i can fix it, as long as i dont cut the vc like i did last time?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif also do you know any places were i might be able to get a recone like someone said? Thanks guys! -justin

well it's prolly cheaper to buy a new one....and like i said since you cut the coil shorter it has lowered the resistance, and the coil is normally secured using a high temp type glue after it's wound....so your **** out of luck.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.